Is it "I can't agree more" or "I can't agree

Kevin Tse   Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 pm GMT
Well, with the sentence I want to say that I completely agree with somebody. I remember that it is the former that just expresses my thoughts, but my friend says that it is the latter, and she's so sure about her choice.
So I want to make sure if I have maken a mistake.

Any reply will be greatly appreciated!
Kevin Tse   Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 pm GMT
Sorry, the two sentences are "I can't agree more" or "I can't agree any more". I want to know which one is correct.
George   Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm GMT
'I can't agree more' --- You completely agree with what was said.

'I can't agree any more' --- This is not really used much as a stock phrase, but it has the sense that you have changed your mind and no longer agree with what is being said. (The same as 'I can no longer agree with you'.)

(There seems to be some debate about spelling, 'any more' verses 'anymore', but I don't see either as wrong.)
Super Korean   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:14 pm GMT
I can't agree more => I completely agree with what was said so I can not agree more than that. (I agree the most).

Do you get it?
Kevin Tse   Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:28 pm GMT
Thank you!
It is exactly the answer I wanted.

Hello, George, would you please offer more explanations on the difference between "any more" and "anymore"?
Guest   Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:22 am GMT
You ought to use "I couldn't agree more" - it sounds much better.
George   Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:40 pm GMT
Kevin,

Some people seem to think 'anymore' and 'any more' are just different ways to spell the same thing, and others think there is a difference in meaning. I think I might be in the second camp, but don't have strong feelings on the matter.

The difference being that 'anymore' is taken to have the meaning 'no longer' or 'nowadays' and has a sense associated with time. 'Any more' is taken to mean 'no more' in a sense associated to quantity.

So, 'If I eat any more cake, I won't be able to walk anymore'.

Hope that helps.
Kevin Tse   Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:27 am GMT
George,
Thank you! I think I will go into the second camp for your clear explanation. With your sentence, I have got a feeling that "anymore" is more appropriate to be used as an adverb.
Guest   Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 pm GMT
I couldn't care less
George   Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 pm GMT
Kevin,

Yeah, you are right, 'anymore' is an adverb. :)