French translation

Mr. French   Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
Please translate this French audio file:

http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/86345844/file.html

Also, what part of France or Quebec is this speaker from?
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
He's not a native. He sounds Asian. Probably Korean or Japanese.

Mon nom est "Roberto" (Robert) (the R's are almost identical to L's, quite in the nippo-korean way, and a "o" was added following the same pattern as "robot", which is prononced "roboto" in Japanese)

-> My name is Robert.

"J'avais" (Je vais) au lycée "da" (de) Notre Dame des "Cururé" d'Archevêque (probably "des Curés d'Archevèque").

-> I go to the high school of Notre Dame des Curés d'Archevèque.

Ma "mèru" (mère) est une "con-neductrice spéciaru" (conductrice spéciale) mais "ma... maruèrèzmènto" (malheureusement) mon "pèru" (père) est "décidé" (décédé).

-> My mother is a special driver but unfortunately my father is deceased.

Can't be bothered to transcribe the rest. Hopefully this still was helpful.
Guest   Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 pm GMT
Yes, I agree. Although he sounds almost like a native speaker of Parisian French, he does have a very slight accent, so he is probably originally from somewhere else (perhaps Asia), and then moved to France when he was young.
"Guest three"   Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
I agree and I disagree with the post at 3:18 pm. Yes, the speaker does not sound on point/on target like a native speaker, but I would not call it a very slight accent-is it even an accent?

I would like some history on the file.

Is it playing at normal speed? The delivery (or the recording) is very slow as played on my computer.
Does the speaker have any hearing, speech or neurological deficits?
Several words are not pronounced as an ordinary speaker of French, at least Parisian French would say them.

I would like to hear Josh weigh in.
"Guest three"   Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
Yes, the voice does sound "Asian", but we need more history.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 am GMT
Yes, the recording is playing at normal speed and tempo. The speaker does not have any hearing, speech, or neurological deficits.
"Guest three"   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:43 am GMT
If that is the case, the speaker does not sound like a Parisian to me, but basically the way the first guest described.

I can understand most of it, but there are some noticeable differences of pronunciation from what I know of Parisian French. My only qualification is that I speak French and used to live, study and work there.
"Guest three"   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 am GMT
If the file has only been downloaded two times, how can there be three opinions?
M. Durand   Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:08 am GMT
<<Although he sounds almost like a native speaker of Parisian French, he does have a very slight accent..."

Sorry, but that did not sound like Parisian French by any stretch of the imagination.
"Guest three"   Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:40 am GMT
Thank-you for saying that. I didn't want the poster to lose face if he is
Japanese, Chinese or Korean, so I didn't write it myself.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:24 pm GMT
The speaker may be English or German.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
"The speaker may be English or German."

I don't think so. An English person would not pronounce e muet as 'u'.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
>> I don't think so. An English person would not pronounce e muet as 'u'. <<

But why do the vowels sound so muddy and diphthongized?
PARISIEN   Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
Obviously someone from Asia. Korea I think.

<< But why do the vowels sound so muddy and diphthongized? >>
-- Maybe because he learnt some English first.
Mr. French   Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:04 pm GMT
The speaker is not from Japan or Korea. The speaker currently lives in a French-speaking country (although is not a native). Can you tell in which region the speaker lives--e.g. Île-de-France, or Normandy, or Quebec etc. from the accent, or is it impossible to determine?