Reading 5-digit numbers.

Guest   Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
Okay 5-digit numbers like 27565 are often read as "twenty-seven five sixty-five" when, for instance, telling people what mileage your car has, but what about those where the second digit is a zero like "20565"? "twenty five sixty-five" sounds like "2565", which is a different number.
Skippy   Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm GMT
It typically just depends on the person saying it. Like zip codes in the US are usually read one number at a time (seven five two three one, seven zero eight zero eight, nine two one one one, etc.).
Guest   Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:50 pm GMT
<<It typically just depends on the person saying it. Like zip codes in the US are usually read one number at a time (seven five two three one, seven zero eight zero eight, nine two one one one, etc.).>>

I know how zip codes are read. I'm not talking about zip codes or house numbers with 5 digits.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 am GMT
<<but what about those where the second digit is a zero like "20565"? "twenty five sixty-five" sounds like "2565", which is a different number.>>

What about those? Is there a specific question in there? It sounds like you're already familiar with how these numbers are read, so what is it you want to know?
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:36 am GMT
>> Okay 5-digit numbers like 27565 are often read as "twenty-seven five sixty-five" when, for instance, telling people what mileage your car has, but what about those where the second digit is a zero like "20565"? "twenty five sixty-five" sounds like "2565", which is a different number. <<

The "twenty-seven five sixty-five" is just a convenient way to read 27565. Obviously this method does not work when a zero is the second digit, so a native speaker would automatically read it out as either twenty thousand five hundred... Or simply "spell" it out like a zip code. It is highly unlikely that a native English speaker would read it as "2565", so there is little chance of ambiguity.
Rick   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 am GMT
<<Obviously this method does not work when a zero is the second digit>>

Well except in the case of "10" (ten).
JT   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 am GMT
<<Okay 5-digit numbers like 27565 are often read as "twenty-seven five sixty-five" when, for instance, telling people what mileage your car has, but what about those where the second digit is a zero like "20565"? "twenty five sixty-five" sounds like "2565", which is a different number.>>

I think if that's the case, most people would say each digit individually to avoid ambiguity.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 am GMT
<<telling people what mileage your car has,>>

In that case you ought to read the number properly in full because this is an actual quantity (not just some random string of digits) which is very relevant to the discussion.
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:22 am GMT
If you're talking about mileage and someone reads each digit individually, people will have to actually 'translate' your string of digits into an actual number in order for it to have some meaning for them.
Wintereis   Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:48 pm GMT
Think about it, if it is a large quantity, native speakers tend to say the full number:

My car has seventy-five thousand two hundred and twenty-two miles on it. I played twenty thousand five hundred and five dollars for it. My house is estimated to be worth three hundred and fifty-seven thousand dollars.

If the number is not a quantity--in other words a UPC code, a VIN number, etc. that has little to no substantive meaning to the average person--we simply read off the numbers if it does not fit well into a double or triple digit break down.
Rick   Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
<<If the number is not a quantity--in other words a UPC code, a VIN number, etc. that has little to no substantive meaning to the average person--we simply read off the numbers if it does not fit well into a double or triple digit break down.>>

That's interesting. I'm a native speaker. For "I weigh 140" we often say "I weigh one forty", however, if the word "pounds" is included after, we say "one hundred and forty".

"I weigh 140" = "I weigh one forty" / "I weigh one hundred and forty"

"I weigh 140 pounds" = *"I weigh one forty pounds" / "I weigh one hundred and forty pounds"
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:33 pm GMT
This is a typical UK telephone number:

01956-446207 (It's OK - it's not a real number, as that particular code doesn't exist anyway).

The first five digits represent the area code in the UK. The following number is the actual telephone number. You only need to dial the code if you are dialling from outside the code area.

Invariably people here would state the number as: Oh (or perhaps zero) one nine five six four four (or double four) six two oh (or zero) seven.
Wintereis   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:46 am GMT
<<That's interesting. I'm a native speaker. For "I weigh 140" we often say "I weigh one forty", however, if the word "pounds" is included after, we say "one hundred and forty".>>

But that generally doesn't work with five-digit or larger quantities (e.g the 747 weights eight seventy-five). I don't think many people would want to get on that flight.