Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm GMT
If you're casually just conversing with a friend. You tell him that Michael said that his odds of obtaining an A in the class are "very good."
How would you translate the "," into words?
Caspian   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm GMT
The first " you say 'quote'
The second " you say 'unquote'.

So, your sentence would be: The goods of obtaining an A in the class are quote very good unquote.
Caspian   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:46 pm GMT
On second thoughts, in informal conversation, if you are talking 'face to face', then it is better to use a simple hand gesture; whilst saying the word or phrase between the quote marks, hold up your hands on either side of your head wit your palms facing forwards, and with all your fingers folded down apart from your index and middle fingers. Then, as you say the word, each syllable, bend your fingers forwards and back again. This is not rude!
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
Ok thank you very much.
Since I already know these two ways of delivering the meaning, how about if I'm on the phone with the person?
The reason why I said a casual conversation is because I thought "quote -very good- unquote" would be for formal use only.

Can you say "He said very good quote unquote?" I am very sure I've heard that before
Caspian   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm GMT
Yes, this works too - but you need to leave a pause between the word 'goog' and 'very' to emphasize the quotation - and put some emphasis on the word 'good' as well.
Glad to help!
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:58 pm GMT
I usually say "quote-unquote" *after* the phrase in quotations.

"He said, 'I was the best student in the class,' quote-unquote."
Caspian   Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 pm GMT
Yes, this does sound more natural. Over the phone, you can give this impression just by changing the tone of voice.
Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:14 am GMT
I tend to say just 'quote' before the quote and leave off the 'unquote' and replace it with a pause.

He said there was 'quote' the best student in class____ pause____