per se

Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:26 am GMT
Could someone give some examples as to how to use the phrase?
Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 am GMT
why not google it?
Skippy   Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 am GMT
Think of it as meaning "exactly" in the sense of "Although I agree with the Libertarian Party frequently, I wouldn't call myself a Libertarian per se."
Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 am GMT
1) Cuz the first websites that popped up explained how per say is not the correct way of spelling it
2) Cuz this is a forum to learn English
3) Cuz if you have any problems with that, get the hell out

Hey Skippy,
Thanks. Helps a lot
Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
1. When I google it, this is the FIRST site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_se
2. per se is not an English word
3. although you may not be stupid per se, that is stupid thing to say, especially on this forum
4. Skippy is not correct
Skippy   Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:27 pm GMT
"Per se" alone means "by itself." Its connotation implies that it can stand by itself sans qualifiers... I.e. my example is accurate, just as saying "I would call myself a Libertarian, per se" meaning that I wouldn't need to qualify that with "I'm a Libertarian who is pro-life, pro-taxing the rich, etc."
Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm GMT
The example is OK (mine is better though); the translation as "exactly" is not.
Perhaps one could say: "as such".
George   Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 pm GMT
The translation 'exactly' is pretty good at conveying how the phrase 'per se' is used. In fact, although a closer synonym might be 'essentially', in terms of common usage, 'exactly' is probably better.

Also 'per se' is a phrase used in English, but it's origin is Latin.
Guest   Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:48 pm GMT
"1. When I google it, this is the FIRST site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_se
2. per se is not an English word
3. although you may not be stupid per se, that is stupid thing to say, especially on this forum "

Guest,
Are you a moron?
I know that the first website that pops up when you google it is wikipedia explaining the meaning. OK?
That is why taking a couple classes in rocket science will reveal to us that I was not looking for the meaning in my original posting. We will eventually come to the realization that I was requesting examples, something your wikipedia website does not provide.

I realize how hard this is for you to digest so here is my original posting:
"Could someone give some examples as to how to use the phrase?"

Don't be shy to tell me that you still do not get it.

Since antimoon is a forum to learn English per se, I have the privilege to ask any questions here so long as I don't violate any of its rules. I don't believe I did.
RayH   Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
>why not google it?

Because using Google as a means of verifying grammar, vocabulary and usage almost always results in far more confusion than enlightenment.