Difference

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm GMT
During WW2 in the UK there was a popular song referring to the hopes people had for the future once the war was over, especially to the end of the total blackout regulations which meant there was no outside lighting at all anywhere in Britain during the hours of darkness - it was Stygian black everywhere out of doors unless of course there was moonlight.

It went like this:

I'm gonna get lit up when the lights go up in London
I'm gonna get lit up as I've never been before
You will find me on the tiles
You will find me wreathed in smiles
I'm gonna get so lit up
I'll be visible for miles.
The city will sit up when the lights go up in London
We'll all be lit up as the Strand was, only more, much more,
And before the party's played out
They will fetch the fire brigade out
To the littest uppest scene you ever saw.

Of course "gonna" is used universally. How silly that song would sound if the formal" going to" was used instead, even back in those far more formal days than now.
Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm GMT
I meant to say "might have come from a lazy pronunciation of..."
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 pm GMT
Getting lit up once the lights were switched on again, of course, meant getting totally bladdered, blootered out of your mind, blasted out of your skull, utterly legless.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:03 pm GMT
William and Harry, the Royal princes, sound like your average middle class guys from anywhere in Southern England, the kind of lads you'd be happy to meet in the Dog and Duck to share a pint and a laugh and dirty jokes with.

Their late mother Diana, a true rose of England, revolutionised the Royal Household, as it's called (she referred to them in less flattering terms ha! ) and she was the best thing ever to smack the stuffy royals right on their chops, and these two lads are continuing where she sadly left off. Harry in particular has been known to stagger out of pubs and clubs late at night just like the rest of us. ;-)
Mike   Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:25 pm GMT
<<I don't know about the princes, but the Queen still speaks correctly. I wouldn't say she has 'toned herself down' at all.>>

I'm certainly glad I'm not the Queen. It would suck being her.
Guest   Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
Why? She's rich.
Guest   Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:44 pm GMT
Well she's gonna die like tomorrow, you know?
Guest   Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:31 am GMT
Can't wait!
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 am GMT
Why, is she gonna get assassinated?