white power

Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:08 pm GMT
Why is it ok to say black power but not white power?
Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
Reverse racism?
guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:41 pm GMT
because it's always "acceptable" (ahem) to criticize and attack the majority and those in power. but woe to those who say anything negative to or about those who are deemed less fortunate.

the fact that you can say "black power" and not "white power" only makes it more obvious that there is a lack of equality. stupid.
Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:57 pm GMT
Same concept behind "The Black Entertainment Channel" (BET). Imagine what the reaction would be if some media mogul starts up "The White Entertainment Channel".
Bill in Los Angeles   Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:48 am GMT
I don't enjoy hearing either one of these. I'm very un-PC and I don't understand why we can have a "Miss Black America" but not a Miss White America (not that I would want a Miss White America).

However, in all fairness, traditionally, "white power" is associated with groups like the KKK, Aryan Nation, etc who have actually committed violent acts against Jews, blacks and other non-whites and non-Christans. As annoying as I find the phrase "black power" (or any other race and then the word "power") because of its separatist connotations, it's not a phrase that I find threatening. The Black Panthers have killed more blacks than whites and when you hear "black power" it's usually used as a defense mechanism, as in "we have to band together against the hated white majority" as opposed to "let's go find a white kind and hang him from a tree." As a white man, I would not be frightened by a black man with a "black power" t-shirt. If I were black I'd be frightened by a white man wearing a "white power" shirt though because of the history of violence associated with these guys.
Guest   Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:13 am GMT
"The Black Entertainment Channel" (BET)" -> "The Black Entertainment Television" (BET)
Guest   Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
Positive discrimination of the minority, that's what it is called.
guest   Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:57 pm GMT
<<As annoying as I find the phrase "black power" (or any other race and then the word "power") because of its separatist connotations, it's not a phrase that I find threatening.>>

What if the situation were reversed and you were a minority white person living in Africa and the "black power" groups there did not want you present?
Bill in Los Angeles   Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:02 am GMT
Bill wrote:
<<<<As annoying as I find the phrase "black power" (or any other race and then the word "power") because of its separatist connotations, it's not a phrase that I find threatening.>>

Guest wrote:
<<What if the situation were reversed and you were a minority white person living in Africa and the "black power" groups there did not want you present?>>>

That would be a different situation from the examples I provided above. Admittedly, I'm writing from the perspective of a white American and the dynamic I referenced is valid in the US but would not necessarily apply in South Africa or Zimbabwe or Mozambique.

I believed the OP's original question to relate to the rather PC situation we find in the US where it's fine to espouse black separatist ideas but not white ones.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:53 am GMT
Political Correctness is doing more to harm Western societies than just about anything else. How can Freedom of Speech and Political Correctness exist side by side? It's virtually impossible.
Guest   Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:25 am GMT
I think there are far bigger harms than PCness.
Guest   Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:45 pm GMT
>>Same concept behind "The Black Entertainment Channel" (BET). Imagine what the reaction would be if some media mogul starts up "The White Entertainment Channel"<<

That's because mainstream television is already bascially 'White Entertainment', just with some token non-whites thrown in. When the mainstream is truly equal, then start moaning about there being separate black groups (which there would no longer need to be)
Jasper   Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:09 pm GMT
<<Political Correctness is doing more to harm Western societies than just about anything else. How can Freedom of Speech and Political Correctness exist side by side?.>>

I don't know if I can agree with you there, good friend. Freedom of Speech--at least as spelt out in the US Constitution---was intended to limit the powers of the government; as such, it doesn't apply to private life or to business.

For example, you might never get arrested for what you say, but you certainly can get barred from Antimoon, or get fired from your job, or if spoken to a spouse, be sued for divorce...