"yeah"

Mike   Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:21 pm GMT
Do you end some sentences with "yeah"? I tend to do this.

"I'm going there, yeah"
Guest   Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:15 pm GMT
hell yeah
Robb   Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:43 pm GMT
I never do this nor do I personally know anybody who does. It sounds very non-North American to me.
Nort' Dakowta   Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 am GMT
Let's gow owver der now, ja
Travis   Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:27 am GMT
I tend to do that myself, but generally for that I often use "ja"/"yah" [jaː], as in "Nort' Dakowta"'s example, rather than "yeah" [jɛ̯æ]/[jɛ̞ː]. This may be some kind of Germanic substratum feature or like...

I'm not sure about the details of "Nort' Dakowta"'s example, though, as the most extreme Upper Midwestern dialects tend to be characterized by a monophthongal [o] for historical /oʊ̯/, whereas the use of "ow" in such implies almost [ou̯]. However, the "w" may be really meant to imply the typical level of rounding and general tenseness of said [o] found in more heavily Scandinavian-influenced Upper Midwestern dialects, rather than any diphthonginess.
Travis   Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:39 am GMT
And at least here in Milwaukee, in probably the most extremely dialect specific form you might find:

[ˈɰɜʔts ˈg̥oː ˈoːʁ ˈdɛ̝ːʁ ˈnɑː ˈjaː]

but you will away from home just as readily, if not moreso, hear:

[ˈɰˡɛ̠ʔts ˈg̥oʊ̯ ˈoːvʁ̩ː ˈðɛ̝ːʁ ˈnɑ̟o̯ ˈjɛ̯æ]

(Mind you that Milwaukee seems to have a dialect that differs significantly from that in much of the rest of the state away from the coast of southeastern Wisconsin.)
Mike   Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
I should mention that there is typically a pause before the "yeah" in my speech.
Uriel   Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:11 am GMT
Nope, I never do that.
I'm Paris Hilton and I ap   Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:08 am GMT
I think [ja] is CVS for yeah
I approve this message   Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:09 am GMT
ya!
guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
I do this, but only due to British influence as I picked it up from watching British TV shows and kinda fancied it.

I used to end my sentences with the Standard American "..., right?" but now only occasionally do