subtle

Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:27 am GMT
Does it mean clever? If so, is that the most commonly used meaning?
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:49 am GMT
help
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:53 am GMT
Do you read the rules before you post?

Trivial vocabulary questions ("What does fragile mean?"). If you don't know what a word means, use a dictionary, for example the Cambridge online dictionary.

sub·tle (sŭt'l) pronunciation
adj., sub·tler, sub·tlest.

1. So slight as to be difficult to detect or describe; elusive: a subtle smile.
2. Difficult to understand; abstruse: an argument whose subtle point was lost on her opponent.
2. Able to make fine distinctions: a subtle mind.
1. Characterized by skill or ingenuity; clever.
2. Crafty or sly; devious.
3. Operating in a hidden, usually injurious way; insidious: a subtle poison.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:08 pm GMT
Hey guest,
Thanks for the mean reply. The reason why I posted that was exactly because I read the rules. Actually, that's why I didn't just pose that question "hey, what's the subtle mean?"
I rather gave those of some conscience an indication that I did consult with a dictionary prior to posting by saying "does it mean clever?" which was one of the meanings you gave up there.

Anyways, my question again, hoping that you can view it a little more intellectually this time, is "what's the most common usage of the word subtle?"

In a movie I saw, the adjective subtle was used. The actress just said, "that was subtle." When I looked it up, I was even more perplexed because I didn't know which meaning she was referring to.

Meanie
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm GMT
<<In a movie I saw, the adjective subtle was used. The actress just said, "that was subtle." When I looked it up, I was even more perplexed because I didn't know which meaning she was referring to.>>

The actress probably said it with a hint of sarcastic irony (i.e. the action in question was not subtle at all). But you need to provide more information in order for us to discern the context.
Wintereis   Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:58 pm GMT
"what's the most common usage of the word subtle?"

"So slight as to be difficult to detect or describe; elusive: a subtle smile," would probubly be the most common usage of the term, but the thing you must remember is that all of these usages are in some way interrelated. (I.E. the deffinition are not independant of one another, but add a subtle refinement to the meaning of the word as a whole and how the word can be utalized in the English language). For instance, if it is ment in the form of clever, you have to understand that this is a specific form of cleverness. One that might require a person to use "skill" and an ability to confuse or make "abtruse" (E.G. the conartist was subtle in his persuit of the families fortune). So while subtle can be akin to clever they do not have the exact same meaning even when subtle is used in the context of clever. The English language is very subtle that way.
Uriel   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:26 am GMT
Actually, using "subtle" to mean "clever" is a much less common usage. Almost archaic (but not quite). It's far more likely to be used to denote the slight variations that Wintereis describes above. So that wasn't a stupid question at all.

<<The actress just said, "that was subtle." When I looked it up, I was even more perplexed because I didn't know which meaning she was referring to.>>

If you can give us a little more context, maybe we can help you out.
Skippy   Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
Subtle is the opposite of obvious. Saying "that was subtle" is usually meant to be sarcastic, meaning that something said was, in fact, obvious.