[4@] for "to".

Rick   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:04 pm GMT
I tend to have [4@] for "to" in places where it's not expected. For instance, "five to ten" is [faIv 4@ tIn], "ten to five" is [tIn 4@ faIv] and "bell to ring" is [bE5 4@ riN].
Johnny   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
Is that not expected? I think it's quite common in American English to pronounce t's in to's as d's or tapped t's, after voiced consonants. I need duh go home. Right? So I don't find it strange.
Rick   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:26 pm GMT
The reason why I say that it's unexpected is that flapping normally only occurs after vowels and [r\]. For me, with "to", it can occur in any position. It doesn't even have to be a voiced consonant, as for instance, "parts to find" for me is [pAr\ts 4@ faInd].
Johnny   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:32 pm GMT
Interesting. I've never noticed it after unvoiced consonants. Where are you from, the US? Is it something only you seem to do in your speech, or did you notice it in other people who speak your dialect too?
Travis   Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:47 pm GMT
I've noticed this here in southeastern Wisconsin as well, where people will often pronounce independent "to" or, less frequently, "to" in words like "today" and "tomorrow" as [ɾ̥ʲə(ː)] regardless of what precedes it, even sporadically flapping them utterance-initially.