"England"

Nat   Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 pm GMT
Could you explain me something? --> why is it always the women who are insulted when a person from a country wants to provoke a person from another country??? Especially when the two persons who are trying to provoke each other are obviously males!!!

Seriously, can't you have a proper conversation, explaining with honesty and with a genuine will of learning, without insultating the others??!!

Now, I regret my earlier post. I wanted to answer Milan's question with sincerity and without prejudices about what I thought of England from what I saw and what I lived there but now I think that I have wasted my time!

I don't understand people like you who ask a question just in purpose to insult other people. It's because there are people like you that there're still wars around the world!
Guest   Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:14 pm GMT
Ha ha hhhaarrrrrrr!!!!

Sorry Milan but you are full of it son. Italian blokes are well known for being cry baby mummy's boys. And the women, Jesus mate their stuck in the stone age. No sex before marriage and all that lark!! Blimey!!!
Mate, apart from some Middle Eastern women your country surely must have the most repressed birds on the planet (with the exception of some of your city tarts). Get in the mix you uptight gits.

Oh, and let's not get started on the state of your corrupt Footie, your economy or the fact that your country is a chicken shit pile of poo that sided with Hitler. Greasy wopps.

Suck my English plums.
Host   Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:41 pm GMT
Nobody from England writes 'Blimey' or 'all that lark'. Nice try though.
Guest   Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
<<Monica Belluci is hardly a whore.>>

I wish she were. She played a whore in that movie about Jesus but they didn't show her doing any whore stuff, and they spent way too much time on Jesus and him getting beaten up by the Romans and then the whole execution scene was too long. I would have preferred more whore action with the Mary Magdalene character played by Bellucci but apparently Mel Gibson's vision was more Jesus-focused than whore-focused, so the film basically sucked.

In my previous post I didn't say *all* Italian women were whores, I just said they make the best whores. I've had whores in lots of countries and I liked the Italian ones a lot. I think the repressed catholic culture results in an environment where the women rebel and are wild. Gotta love it!
Guest   Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:32 am GMT
<<Could you explain me something? --> why is it always the women who are insulted when a person from a country wants to provoke a person from another country???>>

That was just the way it worked out in my earlier post. I usually try to insult everyone when I want to provoke another person from another country. And if I can provoke people from several countries and both genders it's even better. That being said, I seriously was not trying to insult Italians or Italian women when I said they make the best whores. Maybe to the Christian ethic, being a whore is a bad thing, but to me, it's a compliment. Whores are awesome.

<<Now, I regret my earlier post. I wanted to answer Milan's question with sincerity and without prejudices about what I thought of England from what I saw and what I lived there but now I think that I have wasted my time!>>

No way, your post was exactly right in its tone because in reality, Milan's post was referring to another person's thoughts about England and not meant to say those were *her* thoughts. Your post correctly challenged the issues brought up in Milan's post and you did it in a constructive manner with the appropriate tone. In the end, we have to keep in mind that Milan's post isn't really meant to engender conversation, but to bring people to her website. So anythign posted by "Milan" has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Dan Rather   Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:55 am GMT
What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Uriel   Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:27 am GMT
<<I don't understand people like you who ask a question just in purpose to insult other people. It's because there are people like you that there're still wars around the world! >>

Honey, Antimoon is full of silly teenagers who just want to get a rise out of people. I skip about half the posts in any thread to get to the ones of real substance. Take 'em in stride and shoulder on. ;)
Milan   Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
A lot of knowledge from different wise men.

Thanks a lot
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:27 pm GMT
Back from my Continental travels all of it entirely by train thanks to the Chunnel and my Euro Rail Pass - * Scotland * England *France * Germany * Austria * Czech Republic and a wee bit of Belgium on the return trip back to Calais, sous La Manche back to little old Angleterre and Londres / Londen / Londra or whatever names they give to the British capital city.

Thank heavens for the good old English Language - it really does take you every where with no problems at all - in all the countries we passed through (three other guys in addition to myself) we met practically nobody who could not understand any English at all, and most people were able to hold a conversation in English with varying degrees of fluency, some being really proficient in our Language. There is no doubt at all that English is now the main linguistic passport no matter which part of Europe you land yourself in.

We had plenty of chats with people, in English of course, in Paris, Vienna and Prague - and guys, I heartily recommend Prague - it's a fabulous city, and the locals all want to improve their English and it's really no use you trying your hand at Czech, which in my case is a hopeless cause anyway - they all want to practise their English and if you are a native born English speaker you auto matically become a guinea pig. Prague is now a favourite stag/hen weekend destination for Brits - the only benefit I can see for Prague where that's concerned is the economic one, and some long suffering residents of the city would rather forgo that than to have to endure bladdered Brits staggering around the cobbled streets of Praha.

Mind you - I am now back in Edinburgh where the International festival is in full swing and the city is awash with practically every Language under the sun fro people from all over the world - and we are now seeing bladdered foreigners staggering around OUR streets, and to be fair they are NOT English (or British) either! ;-)

And you know what, guys - the standard of spoken English among more than just a few Continentals is actually better than more than just a few native Brits, no kidding. The pressure to learn English effectively really is strong among the younger elements of the Continental population, so there's no pressure on us really to learn at least somethingh of their languages, even though it would be nice gesture, but not too many Brits think about that - THEY want to perfect their English so why bother to learn too much Czech (or any other Language except maybe French!) apart from a few basic words as some kind of gesture of goodwill.

All are now EU countries, like the UK of course, so crossing from one to another is unrestricted with no checks at all, including passport checks - except when you return to the UK. In spite of being in the EU the British still insist on full checks, including passports, when crossing from the Continent into the UK, and in fact the UK Border Control checkpoints are actually located at Calais, before you enter the tunnel, which takes about 25 minutes to pass through from entry to exit. The British are paranoid about illegal immigration, but it is true that entry points into a EU country from a country outside the EU itself are subject to controls and checks, for obvious reasons.

This thread is about England - we Scots have always had a love/hate relationship with our neighbours to the south, for historical reasons, but only a small minority of Scots would wish for a breakaway from England, and some really think it will happen one day. I personally don't think so. As our English friend Adam keeps reminding us, we Scots enjoy receiving all that lovely London lolly. So we musn't be too harsh about the English, and some of my very best mates are English, and I love travelling through England- like Scotland, it is a really beautiful country outside the metro areas and even they have their attractive parts. When we Scots say, as we often do, that the only good thing to come out of England is the road leading into Scotland we are really only joking - most of the time. ;-)

Of course many parts of rural England (and Scotland) is "quaint" - and Americans obviously realise that much os what you see around this country has been here for many centuries, in many cases, loing before the Pilgrim Fathers were mere twinklings in the eyes of their fathers before them. It should be remembered, too, that many parts of urban Britain were either totally destroyed or at best damaged in wars, especially WW2, but even in London there are historical sites which escaped major damage, or even if they were destroyed they were subsequently restored to their former glory as much as was humanly possible to achieve. Fortunately, the Germans were "kind" to Edinburgh city centre in WW2 for some reason - they vented their wrath on some industrial sites on the outskirts, or the city of Glasgow and Clydebank in particular.

We have to be kind to England the the English - after all, they gave us the Language we all take for granted as a daily means of communication now, did they not?
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
I forgot Hungary! Wow, how could I forget to mention Budapest and the rest of Hungary on the rail itinerary? Twin cities - Buda and Pest facing each other across the (not so blue) Donau - better known as the Danube river - making up the city of Budapest, delightful but not quite as delightful as Prague. Maybe that's why I inadvertantly missed out Hungary. Only had time to spend the night in Budapest, and only a brief sojourn in a very noisy but great nightclub.

Sorry, Hungary.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
Before anyone chews me up - ok, I should have said "inadvertently". It's one of those words so commonly mis-spelled in a hurry, like separate and accommodation, to name just two.

But as so many people in here mis-spell my name anyway what the hell.....
Guest   Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:09 am GMT
>> and it's really no use you trying your hand at Czech, which in my case is a hopeless cause anyway

That's not a good attitude I think. Why should you always expect foreigners to speak your language?
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:56 am GMT
Personally I do not "expect" people in non-English speaking countries to speak my Language - I do make attempts to learn basic phrases of the Language of the country I am visiting - the Czech Republic in this case, but how widespread is the knowledge of Czech anyway outside the borders of that country? I did in fact use ordinary day to day words such as "please" and "thank you" and "hello" and "good morning" simply out of politeness and to demonstrate some kind of willingness to acknowledge the Czech Language to Czechs in their own country, but as I associated mostly with people of my own age group (21-35) I also had to acknoweldge their own very obvious desire to practise their own skills in the English Language, and you cannot, as a native born English speaker, avoid being used as a guinea pig.

Most Brits are familiar to varying degrees with most of the main Languages of Western Europe (French, German, Spanish, Italian) - again, mostly the very basics but more than you would realise are pretty well conversant with some of them, but the Languages of Eastern Europe are far less well known and with regard to Czech and Hungarian my prior knowledge of either was zilch. Efforts to speak both Languages usually ended in total collapse, and hilarity, and it was with relief that I became a guinea pig and let them practise their English speaking skills on me, and the standards of proficiency were amazingly high in many cases. In all the clubs of both Budapest and Prague all the songs are in English anyway.
Matthew   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:44 am GMT
Dear People, there are enough people in England who think the country has "gone to the dogs" to make Milan's statement justifiable. There have even been polls in England showing most people want to emigrate!! England - in my imagination this is such a beautiful word, and sums up the country of bowler hats and polite behaviour, where if you trod on someone's toes, he would apologize to you! Country pubs. Red phone boxes and letter boxes. Nice food (much maligned, but much better than overrated Italian pizza: think toad in the hole, corned beef hash, roast dinner, liver+potatoes+peas+onions+gravy, fish and chips). Yet, today, although the countryside does still exist, and condemnations of England are not the whole picture, it is clear that a very seedy side does exist to England today. When I heard how some English louts urinated on a dying disabled woman, I wondered which other country would sink so low. The little Hitler mentality of bureaucrats in England is legendary: a disabled woman was fined recently for displaying her disabled parking badge upside down, and some councils refuse to take rubbish away for trivial reasons. A 90-year-old woman has been told that unless she can drag her rubbish a mile down her lane to the road, they won't take it. Another council has introduced a "two finger" rule: if the bin can't be pulled with 2 fingers, it is deemed too heavy. Well I have my own "two finger" response to that! And that is only scratching the surface of the Little Hitler mentality in England. It is a shame that the greatest country in the world should sink so low. Of course, Milan does not know what cultural greatness is--his comments on the sexual prowess of the Eyeties shows that he lacks class, as this is not the central moment of cultural greatness. Truth be told, Italy is also in deep decline and never reached the heights of greatness scaled by England in the first place.
Guest   Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
"Of course, Milan does not know what cultural greatness is--his comments on the sexual prowess of the Eyeties shows that he lacks class, as this is not the central moment of cultural greatness."

The sexual prowess of the Italians is probably the most enduring myth on the face of the planet; the only people who still believe that myth are the Italians themselves.