You gotta problem?

Rick   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:24 pm GMT
Do these bother you?

"Do you wanna piece of pizza?"

"You gotta problem?"

I gotta problem with both of these. They don't convey any unexpected phonetic information so they are therefore pointless spellings.
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 pm GMT
I don't got no problem with either of those.
Johnny   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:37 pm GMT
<<They don't convey any unexpected phonetic information so they are therefore pointless spellings>>
What do you mean? That even if you wrote "want a" or "got a" you would pronounce them "wanna" or "gotta" anyway? If so, then I agree. But it might not be true for every dialect, on second thought.
Johnny   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:41 pm GMT
In many American English dialects:

got a -> gotta Pointless. Pronounced the same.
got to -> gotta Not pointless. The difference would be the t-tapping.
Travis   Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
That is almost true here, except "gotta" normally has palatalization when the tap is not elided as [ˈgaɾ̥ʲə(ː)] while "got a" never has palatalization. The reason for this is that even after /u/ gets reduced to [ə], consonants before it still remain palatalized in the dialect here.
Lazar   Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:28 pm GMT
I basically agree with Rick - I would only use "gotta" and "wanna" as reduced forms of "got to" and "want to", not as representations of "got a" or "want a".
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 am GMT
''
WANNA
spoken nonstandard
1. a short form of ''want to'': I don't wanna go.
2. a short form of ''want a'': Do you wanna sandwich? ''

Source: Longman dictionary of American English
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:49 am GMT
How about

"wanna sandwich" rather than "you wanna sandwich"?
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:24 am GMT
Rick, you're a total fruitcake. The spoken language is always going to be different from the written one. See: Latin as it was spoken in ancient Rome, ancient Greek as it was spoken in its many dialects, etc. etc. English is no different from Latin, ancient Greek, etc.

The Brits are just as "sloppy" about English in your opinion. Cuppa, etc. etc. ALLLLLLL languages on earth from the origin of language all the way to NU-EARTH in the year 22,000 G.H. use short cuts of some kind; in the case of English, each English-speaking culture has its preferred ways to shorten words, becaaaause ... the intonations are different, accents different, speed of talking different, etc.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:28 am GMT
These sentences sound a bit like Tarzan & Jane English

Tarzan: Me Tarzan!
Jane: Me Jane!
Tarzan: Wanna sandwich?
Jane: Me wanna!
Tarzan: Me too!
Tarzan to tourists: Jane and me wanna sandwich.
Tourists to Tarzan: Where's Jane at? Us aint seena.
Jane (shouteen): Me here, me here, me wanna sandwich, me way hungry, like, way way hungry. Me wanna.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:33 am GMT
It's not really like that at all. You get spoken forms like "wanna" in an attempt to match words with rhythm in a sentence. Italian is big into this; articles and entire words are chopped up and mangled for a more pleasing rhythm. All languages evolve like this naturally, and there's not much you can do about it; bitch and moan all you like, human beings aren't going to mold themselves in your impotent, lame image.

So pull the sticks out of your butts and join the rest of humanity.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:13 pm GMT
Let them stay in their ivory towers, these asscakes don't deserve to be let into the rest of humanity.
Johnny   Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:44 pm GMT
<<ALLLLLLL languages on earth from the origin of language all the way to NU-EARTH in the year 22,000 G.H. use short cuts of some kind; in the case of English, each English-speaking culture has its preferred ways to shorten words, becaaaause ...>>

But he didn't mean that, if I understood the question correctly. He was saying those are not even contractions, just alternate spellings (in most American dialects).
I want a banana. I wanna banana. No difference other than the way it's spelled, because those who don't pronounce t's in those kinds of patterns are not going to pronounce them anyway.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:19 pm GMT
How you distinguish Inner Net from Internet?
JF   Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
No, I don't have a problem with that.

That's my informal way of speaking English.

Silly...

They're perfect examples of word-slurring and reduction for smooth and quick speaking. It fits nicely in the sing-songy rhythm of the English language.