Good and Balanced: This Looks Closely at Why Adults

beneficii   Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 pm GMT
don't seem to learn languages as well as children. I think this is a good compilation of both biological and environmental arguments, and an Antimooner won't get the sense that possible important environmental factors are being left out:

http://webdeptos.uma.es/filifa/personal/amoreno/teaching/ling/11.htm

I think that the affective differences mentioned in the article tend to be ignored by most linguists. When doing things like AJATT (alljapaneseallthetime.com), I notice that the affective differences (particularly anomie) become more prominent as you have to try to discard use of your language (which as you can tell has been inconsistent for me) and take up use of another language. The mention of these factors, which seem to be usually ignored by linguists, I think makes this a good article.
beneficii   Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:40 pm GMT
I think this is related to something mentioned in this article:

http://www.tsuyama-ct.ac.jp/kats/papers/kn7/kn7.htm

"He reported that the learners who arrived in the United States before they became ten years old succeeded in learning more natural English than those who arrived at later age. _The two subjects who came from Russia at the age of four failed to achieve native-like pronunciation because of, Thompson claims, their high proficiency in Russian. This hints at the dominance of the first language_" [emphasis added].

This may be related to anomie, in that to become fluent in another language you have to discard your first language for long periods of time and focus on the second language, which may be difficult for the person, particularly if the person thinks their first language is just fine and useful. Because of this, I think it's anomie affecting the person's learning the second language because they are feeling the alienation from their original culture, which I think can extend to mean one's first language and the contacts thereof.