Farsi is spoken nowhere but in Iran?

Beijinger   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am GMT
Farsi adopted Arabic alphabet (28), and added 4 particular letters,

Would it be useful in Middle East, if learners took no account of Iran.

Is Farsi much easier than Arabic, though it borrowed words from Arabic?
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 am GMT
Farsi is an IE language, easier to Westerners than Arabic or Turkish.
Also spoken in most of Afghanistan.
Beijinger   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:46 am GMT
Would be Turkish, generally speaking, a little more useful or more important for Western people than Farsi & Arabic?
Beijinger   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 am GMT
Would Turkish be, generally speaking, a little more useful or more important for Western people than Farsi & Arabic?
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:25 pm GMT
It depends on politics. We don't know if Turkey becomes or not a member of the European Union.

If it is not, Arabic is more important, of course. Spoken by 300 million people in 25 countries.

On the other hand, if Turkey becomes an EU member, Turkish will be more important than Arabic for everybody, not only Western people.

Anyway, both are very difficult. They are not Indoeuropean.
Elbart089   Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:21 pm GMT
Persian is much easier than Arabic.

It is the most widespread language in:
Tajikistan (Tajik)
Afghanistan (Dari)
Iran (Farsi)
Breiniak   Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 am GMT
Also, Farsi is actually a language, not a conglomerate of separate dialects with no general language as of yet (i.e. Arabic). Arabic reminds me of Dutch in the 19th century and before, but then spoken in a wider area.
Breiniak   Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 am GMT
By the way, non-IE languages are not harder than learning a IE language necessarely. Russian for instance can proof to be A LOT harder than a Semitic language as Hebrew.

Give non-IE languages a try, you'll notice that the major differences are not that much of an obstacle. In fact, languages that are simular to the ones you understand can often trick you with their 'false friends'.
Guest   Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:14 am GMT
<By the way, non-IE languages are not harder than learning a IE language necessarely. Russian for instance can proof to be A LOT harder than a Semitic language as Hebrew.

Give non-IE languages a try, you'll notice that the major differences are not that much of an obstacle. In fact, languages that are simular to the ones you understand can often trick you with their 'false friends'.>

You meant that,

1, whether a language is difficult or not, doesn't depend on whether it belongs to IE languages? Then it's a mistake to consider non-IE languages are harder than IE languages?

2, Maybe Russian is more difficult to learn than Arabic or Hebrew?
Breiniak   Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:00 am GMT
I meant both. Not so with Arabic though, because their dialects are too diverse. I don't think Russian with it's generalized language is more difficult than Arabic. Someone from St-Petersburg speaks the same as someone from Vladivostok; whereas a Moroccan Arab cannot understand a Syrian. Arabic may not be such a difficult language by grammar, it's HUGE vocabulary and regional differences sure makes it challenging.
Few who have studied Arabic, are actually fluent at it.

Just used Russian as an example of a language that is generally perceived as being 'difficult', despite it being IE. I personally don't know a lot of non-IE languages (like the ones mentioned above: Turkish and Arabic), but I just know Hebrew isn't that hard to learn for speakers of a IE language.

Is Farsi easier than Turkish or Arabic? Could be. I don't know. It's wrong to assume it is just because it's Indo-European IMO. Unless people who claim this have perceived it as such that is. :p