Is BrE past tense usage going the way of AmE?

Uriel   Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:48 pm GMT
<<You mean to say that Americans can actually write in such a way so as not to be perceived as being American? >>

Hey, don't let that get out -- we have a reputation and all. ;)
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:53 am GMT
Foreigner's are basically clueless as to how British people actually speak English. Italians, Germans, etc., all think every Briton speaks in RP... they have no clue whatsoever about the 8 million different dialects within the UK that most people speak.

I'm not sure why these foreigners don't understand the fact that the United States speaks the same basic language as the UK. You can only get into the whole "two nations separated by the same language" if you're a native speaker. Anyway, we can all just assume it's foreigners who want to find any excuse to hate Americans. Remember, Italians today are committing genocide against Romanians and gypsies, and the Germans don't exactly have the best track record as far as cultural sensitivity goes, either.

Europeans by their very nature are arrogant, prejudicial, and extremely classist, and aren't past going to violent means to achieve these ends. Be lucky Italians aren't burning down, raping, and murdering American expat communities like they do to other cultures, all under the acceptance of their government and citizens. The Germans only consider those of "pure German blood" to be German. Europeans are truly messed up.
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:04 am GMT
Basically, Europeans are violent, pigheaded, racist savages; all the people they used to love murdering all escaped to the US, so they view the US as this filthy and corrupt place. Why? Because Europeans can't murder them anymore!

Europeans: Everything that's wrong about the world. They talk a good game about making the world better, but that just covers up the same dirty imperialism that the United States commits. Of course, Europeans are so naive and lazy about the world that they actually believe their governments, blinded by their hatred of the US that their own governments use against them.

The more you hate the US, Euros, the more your own government can commit the same crimes that America takes all the blame for. Don't you see you're being lied to? Probably not, because all you want to do is sleep all day and let someone else do the work.
Damian in Europa   Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am GMT
Languages....think of all the Languages contained within the borders of this one single unit of ours called EUROPA......the increasingly preferred named for the more convoluted European Union or just plain clinical EU.

Europa would be the most convenient and appropriate name for our European homeland. As I've said before in another thread, the southernmost tip of Continental European is very close to Gibraltar, down there just off the very base end of the Spanish mainland - Europa Point, facing across the blue waters of the narrow Straits of Gibraltar, facing towards North Africa.

What a rich diversity of cities there are spread across the length and breadth of Europa:

Milan*Helsinki*Rome*Seville*Dublin*Riga*Bucharest*Marseille*Athens*
Tallinn*Hamburg*Vienna*Amsterdam*London*Valletta*Prague*Brussels*
Genoa*Belgrade*Copenhagen*Edinburgh*Madrid*Stockholm*Munich*
Sofia*Oslo*Luxembourg*Lisbon*Berlin*Liverpool*Warsaw*Budapest*
Zagreb*Lyon*Glasgow*Paris*Vilnius*Bratislava*Valenica*Cologne*
Cork*Frankfurt-am-Main*Cardiff*Naples*Barcelona*Ljubljana*Skopje*
Strasbourg*Dusseldorf*Birmingham*Palermo*Turin*Gothenburg*

Plus the countless numbers of others impossible to list, of course, from the northernmost tip of Finland to the

Ludvig van Beethoven has given us our Europa national anthem - Ode to Joy, from his Ninth Symphony, heard in the links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9lhoo8fZo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAh-RnPXa5o&feature=related
Damian - Edinburgh Europa   Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:28 am GMT
.....continuation I missed out.....from the northenmost tip of Finland to the sunkissed Mediteranbnean island of Malta.

Talking of Mediterranean islands - I missed out the island of Cyprus in my list above! How could I forget the blessed island of Aprhodite, all those orange and olive groves under the deep blue Mediterranean sky.

Add Nicosia to the list of Europa's cities....
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:37 pm GMT
Also delete Oslo - although a thoroughly European city, it isn't Europan, much like Zurich or Bern or Geneva are not, as yet! Maybe they will be inveigled into the Europan fold in the course of time - in fact, it's very likely they will.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
Cities of Europa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Ua0GPpkxI&feature=related

The Youth of Europa displaying the great linguistic diversity in our unified Community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z6vkKt5sNQ&feature=related
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:03 am GMT
<<called EUROPA......the increasingly preferred named for the more convoluted European Union or just plain clinical EU. >>

Sorry, it isn't increasingly preferred. It's just you and you alone.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 pm GMT
Europa - I advise you to listen to the last link again, you Non-Europan Auslander.

This is the very last time I directly respond to ANY post made under the name of Guest, no matter what the issues raised.

If anyone hasn't got the balls to post under a clearly identifiable name then as far as I'm concerned they are inconsequential.