Question

Boy   Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:23 pm GMT
Hi,

1. I'm just curious to know what we call such an operation in which you get rid of your extra fat from your body. There was this American celebrity who had a lot of fat around her belly and butts. First, a surgeon drew a line on her body with a marker - and in the next scene I saw some white flesh blend with blood putting aside. After a while, I saw that celebrity as a slim and smart looking girl than a fatty queen. I am really aware that people join gyms and do regular excercising and jogging for reducing their extra weight but first time I have seen such a thing on TV. Did she had some other medical problems, too?

2. Fall, Summer, Winter, and Spring. Do you know when each season starts in America.

Thanks for your help.
Tiffany   Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:30 pm GMT
1. Liposucton. The "i" is a long "i" sound so: lie is the first syllable.

2. This is not scientific!!! This is my opinion. Fall: around September, Summer: around June, Winter: around December, Spring: around March. If we want to talk about equinoxes and soltices, that's a different question with much more precise answers.
Boy   Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 pm GMT
Thanks, Tiffany! I think it is Liposuction. I think you made a typo there.
I just checked its pronunciation in my dictionary and you are right there. Sometimes I feel like there should be an online dictionary in which you just type your understanable definition and come up with a correct word but that's a wishful thinking I guess!!

I didn't know about equinoxes and soltices before but I now have searched their meanings. Anyways, thanks for teaching me such useful terms.
Tiffany   Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:01 am GMT
Yes, definitely a typo :) Good of you to catch that.
Mxsmanic   Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:52 am GMT
The seasons start at the same time everywhere in a given hemisphere. In the Northern Hemisphere, spring starts with the vernal equinox, around March 21. Summer starts with the summer solstice, around June 21. Fall starts with the autumnal equinox, around September 21. And winter starts with the winter solstice, around December 21. The exact time of day and (sometimes) the day on which these events occur varies from one year to another, but they occur simultaneously everywhere on the planet. In the Southern Hemisphere, the marker events are the same, but the seasons are reversed (that is, the vernal equinox is the autumnal equinox, etc.).
Uriel   Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:41 pm GMT
Actually, since those dates are somewhat arbitrary, "official" seasons may vary from country to country.
Boy   Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:59 pm GMT
Thank you all for your replies. If any one of you can tell me what does "Fringle" mean? It was asked in one of my friend's entry test for university.
Uriel   Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:57 pm GMT
I've never heard of a word like "fringle". Sure it wasn't "fringe"?
Candy   Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:19 pm GMT
I've never heard the word 'fringle' either!
Boy   Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:24 pm GMT
Uriel, that mystery is solved. Yes, it was fringe. There was a typo in his booklet and he had confirmed this with his friends who took the same test. They were laughing at him because he chose a wrong option because of that typo. Hehe, these silly things happen with every students.
Guest   Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:59 pm GMT
Tiffany Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:01 am GMT
Yes, definitely a typo :) Good of you to catch that.

It's "understanable"!
Uriel   Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:58 pm GMT
ALL (not every) students.

Very funny, Boy!
Boy   Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
Yep. It was funny. Thanks for correcting my mistake, too.
rikyo   Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:25 am GMT
The seasons are deemed to start on the first of the month in Australia. so Summer = 1 Dec to 28 Feb, Autumn = 1 March to 31 May, etc.