random qs

Guest   Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:10 am GMT
1) It's incorrect to say "I can't reckon what happened" meaning you forget what happened. Is that right?
2) What's the difference between "counterterrorism" and "antiterrorism" operations?
3) What's the difference between "Alumnus,""Alumni," and "Alumnae?"(or something)
4) A quick side comment, today was the first time when I noticed that on the n's in annoying is silent
Guest   Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 am GMT
5) "The liner notes also again credited his wife for her involvement, thanking her "for being my tireless cowriter, coproducer, second engineer, significant other, and therapist.""

Significant other?
Estel   Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:22 pm GMT
1) "I can't reckon what happened" doest seem grammatically incorrect to me. But I would just say "I can't remember what happened".

2) "Couterterrorism" refers to a political or military movement against terrorism. "Antiterrorism" is a prevention of terrorism, ideologically. I can't really explain it that well. Let me put it this way, "counterterrorism" refers to military activities aiming against terrorism while "antiterrorism" is more of an idea.

3) An alumnus is a male former student/graduate. An alumna is a female graduate. "Alumni" is plural for an "alumnus", while "alumnae is plural for an "alumna". These words are latin.

4) I don't really get what you meant to say in number 4.

5) Significant other is a word used when referring to your spouse/partner. To me, it means you can't live without each other because your spouse/partner is so important to you.

I'm not the best person to describe all of this, but since no one has said anything, I thought I'd share my opinion.
Estel   Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
PS. Of course it can refer to your gf/br as well, someone you're in a romantic relationship with.
Uriel   Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:14 pm GMT
"Significant other" covers wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, domestic partners, etc. without making any specific reference to marital status.
Guest   Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
>> "Couterterrorism" refers to a political or military movement against terrorism. "Antiterrorism" is a prevention of terrorism, ideologically. I can't really explain it that well. Let me put it this way, "counterterrorism" refers to military activities aiming against terrorism while "antiterrorism" is more of an idea.

Well, see, that's what I initially thought of antiterrorism, that it's a notion. But when the author of the book I'm reading wrote "antiterrorism and counterterrorism," I was puzzled cuz he makes them sound distinct from each other.

>> An alumnus is a male former student/graduate. An alumna is a female graduate. "Alumni" is plural for an "alumnus", while "alumnae is plural for an "alumna". These words are latin.

I take it that the Alumni Association could go under fire since the name of the organization is not as inclusive as feminists would like it to be?
Also, if Alumnae is a plural of alumna, then why on one of the walls of our student center it has the word "Alumnae" posted and underneath it is photos of guys and girls?

>>"The liner notes also again credited his wife for her involvement, thanking her "for being my tireless cowriter, coproducer, second engineer, significant other, and therapist.""

I guess now I see why the author didn't wanna use wife instead of significant other. It's cuz "wife" is already mentioned in the beginning of the sentence and so he didn't wanna make it repetitive. Hence sig other
Uriel   Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:31 pm GMT
<<I take it that the Alumni Association could go under fire since the name of the organization is not as inclusive as feminists would like it to be? >>

Nowadays people use "alumnus" and "alumnis" for both men and women who have graduated from a particular school. "Alumna" and "alumae" are falling out of use and seldom heard.

As for anti terrorism and counterterrorism: anti- is simply "against", but to "counter" something is to react strategically against its last move -- thus you counter an opponent's attempts to take your king in chess, or take counterinsurgency measures against rebels, or counter an attack or argument. So it's slightly different.