Indian English vs American English?

Skippy   Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:28 pm GMT
I'm an American and love curry, but it is hard to find, it's not as good here as in England (so many people don't like it), and most people really haven't had it. Surely in Los Angeles and New York there are tons of places, as there are in Dallas and San Diego, but here in Baton Rouge (and I imagine most other less-than-1,000,000-population cities) it is very hard to find.
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:58 am GMT
The United States should only be discussed in terms of states, not as a whole nation since it's such a large and diverse place. States with high Indian populations eat curry and all that. People in states with low Indian populations may live and die not knowing what curry even is.

So, eating curry is an American thing in the states with high Indian populations.
Rosemachinegun   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:24 am GMT
<< So, eating curry is an American thing in the states with high Indian populations. >>

This isn't really accurate either.
Curried dishes are also popular among Caribbean people, as well as East Asian ones. (I buy instant curry from the Korean market usually.)
Uriel   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:29 am GMT
I don't think there are any US states that have a major concentration of Indian people. There might be a few cities, but even then we'd be talking a small minority of the population.

I try to eat some curry every few years to remind myself that yup, it's nasty. I've never liked it. Even tried chicken tikka masala while I was in England, supposedly their new national dish -- they can keep it. But as far as I know, curry powder has been readily available in the spice section of every grocery store in the US since I was a little girl -- so it's hardly been unknown or rare these past 30 years.
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 am GMT
Are you serious that there aren't many Indian immigrants in the USA? I never would have thought!
Uriel   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:34 am GMT
No, we have our own version, and they didn't even have to immigrate. ;)

There are Indians (from India) here and there all over the country, but they aren't what you'd call particularly numerous, and they don't seem to cluster together that much. I think all the ones I've met have been professionals lured here by some job -- doctors, professors, etc. But they haven't exactly showed up in droves.
Uriel   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:39 am GMT
<<The United States should only be discussed in terms of states, not as a whole nation since it's such a large and diverse place.>>

Not really true. We may think we have a lot of internal differences between regions, but so does every other country. In fact, they don't even have to be very large countries to have significant internal differences. Look at Germany with its Bavarians, or England with its change in accents every 15 miles.

And trust me, once you leave the US, you become just an American, interchangeable with every other American. Nobody gives a crap if you're an east coaster or a midwesterner, and you won't remember that distinction yourself after awhile. The whole country will just be "home" versus "this strange place". ;)
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 am GMT
<She brought it in so that we could see and smell this exotic Indian spice called "curry".>

There's no spice that goes by the name "curry".
AJC   Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:53 am GMT
Well there's curry leaves (granted, they're not very spicy)
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:52 am GMT
Does curry really make you runny on the inside (and hence the outside also) or is that just an urban myth?
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:15 pm GMT
If it's not a "spice" then what the hell is it? It's certainly not a dish as so many British seem to call it.

BTW, "Indian populations" in the US are a relatively new. Indians only started emigrating to the US in large droves within the past 20 years or so.

This is one of the reasons why many Americans have not had curry. Of course it's always been available in supermarkets, but *most* (That means there are exceptions) Americans are simply not very familiar with it. It's not just a typical part of the American diet. Expecting Americans to know much about curry is like expecting Europeans to know about root beer.
Uriel   Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:02 am GMT
Well, they wouldn't be stocking it if it didn't sell, you know.
JJ   Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm GMT
It depends on how much the stock. Many common items found in Europe which contain curry barely exist in North America. Curry Ketchup comes immediately to mind.