Double Dutch

Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
Does anyone spaek this language?
guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
I thought 'Double Dutch' was a way of jumping rope?--with two ropes simultaneously...
Uriel   Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:16 am GMT
It's a jump-rope game, not a language, silly.
K. T.   Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:19 am GMT
Lol! I associate "Double Dutch" with ice cream, probably chocolate.
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:13 am GMT
<<It's a jump-rope game, not a language, silly.>>

And "Going Dutch" means putting on an apron skirt, Dutch hat, and wooden shoes.
Matt   Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:55 am GMT
Double Dutch means nonsense you can't understand. It was all Double Dutch to me. You can also say: it was all Greek to me. The French say: c'est du chinois.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:08 am GMT
Pity the Dutch people, so nice as they are. I love the Netherlands....especially Amsterdam, of course, and my really good mates near Eindhoven.

How unjustified it is to have their nationality portrayed in so many negative ways - "Going Dutch" "Dutch treat" "Dutch courage" "Dutch auction" "Dutch elm disease" - and the most well known of them all - "Double Dutch" - most probably a reflection on the sound of their Language making it seem totally incomprehensible, but if you listen very closely to Dutch people speaking (after you have asked them to slow it down a wee bit) you may well recognise one or two words and their meanings in English.

That's pretty understandable really as, let's be honest here, Dutch isn't the most atrractive sounding Language is it? It's no wonder the vast majority of them speak English so well - it ptobably offers them relief from throat conditions now and again...unless of course they're collectively immune fom them!

I know that the Dutch will not take offence at that - they have a sense of humour very similar to that of the British.
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm GMT
<<Double Dutch means nonsense you can't understand. It was all Double Dutch to me. You can also say: it was all Greek to me. The French say: c'est du chinois. >>

If Double Dutch means 'nonsense' then I wonder if that is an extension of another meaning like the jump-roping game (i.e. the game is confusing to learn and master due to the use of two ropes => confusion=>nonsense)

if so, then it's even further from relating to linguistics (other than by sense extension of course)
Pauwels   Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 pm GMT
<<How unjustified it is to have their nationality portrayed in so many negative ways - "Going Dutch" "Dutch treat" "Dutch courage" "Dutch auction" "Dutch elm disease">>

How is it unjustified. Some of the "Dutch" terms seem apropos.

Dutch reckoning - a bill that is presented without any details, and which only gets bigger if you question it

Dutch widow - a prostitute.

Dutch courage, temporary bravery induced by alcohol

Dutch metal - an alloy of copper and zinc used as a substitute for gold foil

Dutch comfort or Dutch consolation, in which somebody might say "Thank God it is no worse!"

Dutch concert, in which each musician plays a different tune

Dutch uncle - someone who criticizes or rebukes you with the frankness of a relative

Dutch treat - one in which those invited pay for themselves
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:24 pm GMT
Dutch uncle: I knew if would show up. We use this expression in my family, even though my uncle is Dutch, but he's very nice.
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:30 pm GMT
""Double Dutch" - most probably a reflection on the sound of their Language making it seem totally incomprehensible, but if you listen very closely to Dutch people speaking (after you have asked them to slow it down a wee bit) you may well recognise one or two words and their meanings in English. "

I believe is why it's called Double Dutch isn't it? Something that has a ring of familiarity, yet it's incomprehensible at the same time.
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:42 pm GMT
Can't find aught on the interwebs to back that up. Maybe I dreamt it.
Uriel   Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:35 am GMT
<<Lol! I associate "Double Dutch" with ice cream, probably chocolate.>>

That is because there is such a thing as "Dutch process" cocoa.
K. T.   Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 am GMT
You are so bright, Uriel. I'm not your stalker, but man! you know a lot of stuff!
Uriel   Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:45 pm GMT
I know. Head the size of a planet, dude. Has it's own atmosphere. ;P And I'm a compulsive label-reader -- candy bar wrappers, cereal boxes, shampoo bottles ..... or, should we just say, nerd.

<<If Double Dutch means 'nonsense' then I wonder if that is an extension of another meaning like the jump-roping game (i.e. the game is confusing to learn and master due to the use of two ropes => confusion=>nonsense)

if so, then it's even further from relating to linguistics (other than by sense extension of course) >>

Really? I would think that trying to figure out where expressions come from is one of the more fun parts of linguistics!