Spanish in Argentina

Rolando   Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
I know that instead of saying Tu in argentina they say Vos...

So if they say

Usted Es Bella
Vos Sos Bella

Ustedes Son Bellas
How woud they say Vos plural would is be Vos Sois Bellas???

Can anyone explain that to me, Thanks alot
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 am GMT
Most Spanish-speakers use the TU form, a few countries (like Argentina) use VOS, so they conjugate the verbs slightly different but still pretty similar, for example.

"Tu tienes" (Most countries)
"Vos tenes" (Voseante countries)

USTED, is a formal way of saying YOU, and it is used in all countries, for example:

"Usted tiene" (formal way)

Obviously the plural of USTED es USTEDES, (You, plural) which is used in all countries except Spain, example:

"Ustedes tienen"

Hopely that help you.
Alessandro   Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:06 am GMT
Depends by Italian immigration that has changed Spanish language of Argentina. In Italian "Voi" is a formal way to say "Tu".
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:08 am GMT
This is not true, VOI is Southern way of saying it.
In Central and Northern Italy, LEI is used.
As for VOS, it existed in Classical Spanish and it's similar to Brazilian pronoun VOCÊ (in Portugal TU is used instead).
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 am GMT
So if they say

Usted Es Bella
Vos Sos Bella

-Bella- is not used much in Argentina, bonita or linda is preferred.
Alessandro   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:08 pm GMT
"This is not true, VOI is Southern way of saying it.
In Central and Northern Italy, LEI is used.
As for VOS, it existed in Classical Spanish and it's similar to Brazilian pronoun VOCÊ (in Portugal TU is used instead)."

Italian immigration in Argentina was from southern Italy. In Neapolitan "Voi" is still used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Argentina
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:44 pm GMT
Then the Central Americans also got Italian inmigration? I don't think so. The reason why some countries use Vos is becase is an older form of Spanish.
Gabriel   Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:57 am GMT
The original question was:
"How woud they say Vos plural would is be Vos Sois Bellas??? "
Rolando wants to know if there are distinct forms of the 2nd person plural corresponding to 2nd person singular VOS and USTED.
The answer is no. There's a single 2nd person plural form, and that is USTEDES. It is used in all cases to address people that you would address individually as VOS or USTED.
Regarding the comment on the frequency of BELLA in Rioplatense Spanish, I'd say that it is less frequent in a normal register. However, it is perfectly unremarkable in a formal register. So we should probably find:
(Vos) sos linda.
Usted es bella/linda.
And as for the origin of voseo, I don't think it's connected to Italian immigration. Rioplatense does owe a number of its features to Italian (vocabulary items - such as MANYAR, LABURAR, GAMBA - and intonational patterns) but the VOS form predates the massive Italian influx of the 19th and early 20th centuries)
Morticia   Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:37 am GMT
Voseo is not related to Italian. There are voseante people from Argentina to Mexico. The Napolitan influence over Spanish in Argentina is very weak, it consists on particular intonation and nothing more. As for the Argentinian conjugation peculiarities like "vos tenés" it should be noted that in Chile they say "vos tenís". These things are consecuence of different evolution of language in Argentina with respect the rest of Spanish speaking countries rather than the influx of Napolitan.
Guest   Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:10 pm GMT
"Voseo is not related to Italian. There are voseante people from Argentina to Mexico. The Napolitan influence over Spanish in Argentina is very weak, it consists on particular intonation and nothing more. As for the Argentinian conjugation peculiarities like "vos tenés" it should be noted that in Chile they say "vos tenís". These things are consecuence of different evolution of language in Argentina with respect the rest of Spanish speaking countries rather than the influx of Napolitan."

bullshit

I'm Argentinian and I can say that we are more and more Italian than Spanish.
Dante   Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:20 pm GMT
Non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa... Fregatene di quegli Zulù degli spagnuoli. E' gente cattiva e rancorosa.
Guest   Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
soy napulitana y soy puta
Guest   Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm GMT
Ma vaffanculo spagnolo. Tua madre è una troia.
Guest   Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
If Argentinians were Italians they would be maffiosi but that is not the case. They are drogadicts( Maradonna), communists (Che Guevara), etc.
Ramon   Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
Spanish Spammer you are really, really, really stupid. In another topic you wrote "maffiosi" and now you did the same error. "Mafia" with one F. "Maffia" does not exist. Low I.Q. person.