Is Russian and Chinese influenced by English?

Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:20 pm GMT
Anyone knows?
Breiniak   Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
Russian is pretty much purist. I can tell you that. Only Russian geeks use words like "лол" or "лул" for lol or "ВТС" for WTS (wants to sell) or "ВТБ" for WTB for (wants to buy). Every world language knows the words noob of course, Russians are no different with their "Нуб".

Dunno about Chinese.

P.S.: Especially fantasy is heavily influenced by English. Modern fantasy novels à la LOTR are very hard to translate without sounding awkward, you cannot translate English/Celtic words like goblin or banshee. They are based on mythology and mythology is too old to fit in modern language it only sounds good in its proper culture.
This is why I only read fantasy novels in English and no other tongue.
Breiniak   Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
Very still, there are other influences.

Read this links: http://www.topics-mag.com/globalization/lang-ukrainian.htm
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
But there are other areas that could be difficult to translate, for instance you eat 'sandwiches', 'hamburguers','beicon','hot dogs', ...
You watch 'Pay per view' Tv, you 'zap' tv channels.
You use hardaware, software,computer,mouse,Mainframe,bluetooth,internet,password,nick,chat,e-mail,...

do you play : football,basket,boxing,Voleybal,Baseball ...

Do you use words like : stop,ok,cool,off-topic,Shampoo,...
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:52 pm GMT
Ups! ,sorry for the last post I didn't see your link. That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 pm GMT
In the technology field especially the influence of English on other languages is massive.
beaware   Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:13 am GMT
almost all these news words are translated in Chinese, no words can be written in alphabets in Chinese.

for example:

hardaware=硬件 software=软件
computer=电脑,计算机,mouse=鼠标,Mainframe=主框架bluetooth-蓝牙,internet=互联网password=密码,nick=昵称,chat=聊天e-mail=电邮(电子邮件)
Lizza   Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:25 am GMT
yeah, pretty like that everything is translated in Chinese.

Last time when i was in China,i found even ACDSee (an image browsing/editing tool) had a Chinese name: 奥视迪.

WTF?

yeah, i guess 'no words can be written in alphabets in Chinese'.