listening skill is important

Reemah   Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:24 am GMT
hi
I would like to ask about the listening skill.I usually watch english movies and listen to music but I sometimes find its hard to understand every single word.They every now and then speak english in a very calm voice or quite tone.I wonder what is the best way to listen clearly.Should i use all my physical,mental and emotional powers to follow the dialogues and the lyrics.I also turn the sound up to be able to listen but my mother often comes and squarrels with me not to do that lool.Please help me.I need practical ways and advises that make me achieve the goal which is develping the skill of listening that leading to speak english fluently.I notice them swallow the letters and dont make them obvious.Once in a while, I desire to stifle the stars of the movie I watch or cut down the singer tounge when he sings in that way looool.Plz show me your great replies I really call for useful solves for this problem
Reemah....
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:13 am GMT
Sometimes there are lines in movies and songs that even I don't catch, and I am a native-speaker. There are whole websites devoted to mis-heard lyrics; they are often pretty funny....That's just the way it is, though; real-life pronunciations can be messy and not textbook-perfect.
Reemah   Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:29 am GMT
thank u uriel for your reply.You didnt give specific techniques that help in listening.Can you mention any name of websites that devoted to mis-heard lyrics.I need a big help for this trouble.
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:23 am GMT
Turn it up loud -- hit rewind -- look for a transcript -- try to figure it out from context.

If you Google-search "misheard lyrics", all kinds of sites pop up. I'll do an Adam and cut and paste a few of the funnier ones:

If you are looking for real lyrics, try Lyric Site . Clown Control to Mao Tse-tung from Bowie's "Space Oddity" is really
Ground Control to Major Tom.

It's a hard egg -- Bonnie Tyler,
It's A Heartache

Sweet dreams are made of cheese -- The Eurythmics,
Sweet dreams are made of this

Wake up I might sit on you -- George Harrison,
I've got my mind set on you

We are the Mormons -- Asia,
Heat of the moment

Sherry don't like it/Rock the catbox -- from The Clash's "Rock the Casbah" is really
Sharif don't like it/Rock the casbah

Mice aroma -- The Knack,
My Sharona

Take your pants down and make it happen -- Irene Cara's "Flashdance", of course it's really
Take your passion and make it happen

Gotta leave it all behind and take a cruise -- from Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" is really
gotta leave....and face the truth

Baking carrot biscuits -- Bachman-Turner Overdrive,
Taking care of business

I am a rock, I am an onion -- Simon and Garfunkel, of course,
I am a rock, I am an island

Only the lonely get laid -- the Motels,
Only the lonely can play (where are these people's brains?)

We are ancient Sophocles from REM's "Orange Crush" is really
We are agents of the free.

Weenie skin, you and me from REM's "Cuyahoga", is really
We knee-skinned, you and me

Tell me a jawbreaker,
Only in Jamaica,
Calmly celebrate her from REM's "Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite", is really
Call me when you try to wake her

Whoa! Nipsey Russell! from B-52s,
Roam if you want to

These are the good times/Are you straight or bi? from Chic,
These are the good times/Our new state of mind

Olives have feelings -- from the Go-go's
Our lips are sealed

Last night I dreamt of some bagels -- from Madonna's "La Isla Bonita", is really
Last night I dreamt of San Pedro

She ripped up her douche in the middle of the night
Wrapped up like a douche/Another boner in the night from Manfred Mann's Earth Band's "Blinded By the Light" is really
Revved up like deuce/Another runner in the night.

There's a bathroom on the right from Creedence Clearwater Revival,
There's a bad moon on the rise

Big hotel with a light on by the Steve Miller Band,
Big ole jet airliner

Reach into your room, whoa, to feel your genitals from Elton John's "Sad Songs Say So Much",
Reach into your room, whoa, to feel your gentle touch

cant fire a bitterman
cant find a bitterman
cant find the butter, man
campfire at bitterman's
Pearl Jam's can't find a better man
reemah   Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:23 am GMT
thank u uriel again.im sure i will do as u said.If u have other advises just type.
mattar   Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:35 pm GMT
what you mean by listening skill,who I can reading, speeking as well as and writing. thanks
Tetsuo   Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
Reema,

See if your TV set have a closed caption feature. Most TVs which are less than 10-year-old do. A caption is a printed version of the dialogue, narration, songs, and/or sound effect of a TV program.

If yours has such a feature, you can use it to better understand the dialogue and songs of a captioned movie. But remember not all movies are captioned.

I use the close caption feature whenever I watch a captioned movie on my TV.

Oh, I wish I had a 70" Panasonic plasma TV!
Reemah   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:17 am GMT
hi matter , i mean the skill of listening in english which leads to speaking fluently
Reemah   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:24 am GMT
thank u tetsue.Where can i get that closed caption feature?How can i know that this movie hasnt this feature?
Tetsuo   Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:48 pm GMT
Reemah,

I'm sorry I misspelled your name in my previous email.

Check the owner's manual on your TV. If your TV offers such a closed caption feature, just follow the instructions given in the manual.

Or you can check the remote control for the TV for a closed caption function. If the TV has the function, you can simply activate it with the remote control.

If the TV has a closed caption function and when the fuction is turned on, a move, if captioned, will automatically show captions.

Good luck!
César   Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:49 pm GMT
Reemah,

Download iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and install it.

Go the to Podcasts section and subscribe to the following podcasts:

English as a Second Language Podcast
English Through Stories
TOEFL Podcast

The lyrics section of the audio files that you find in those podcasts contain the transcription of the conversations. That will help you improve your listening skills.

Regards
Reemah   Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 am GMT
tetsuo.
u spelled my name in a very nice way .Reema or Reemah all known arabic names,its nothing!!.I will follow all the steps You have explained and i hope i could find this great feature you talked about.If it didnt help I better go to the doctor to cure my problem loool
Reemah   Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:51 am GMT
Thank you cesar for your great reply.I downloaded this website and subscribed in these podcasts but i still didnt work on them I wish they would help me.If you have more just type.Thank you again for your help.
mattar   Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:40 pm GMT
inthe name of allh.
Hi reemah. thanks for you abut advis to me antering apple.com
but I finded the deffrent between the people speaking in the news,movis,and songs. the people in my city khartoum speaking very hardilly.my question, who I can know or anderstand the deffrent betwwen all this skills just about listening skill.
Reemah   Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:51 am GMT
mattar
well, i didnt understand your question very well,but the skills of any language are about 4 skills which are speaking,listening,writing,and reading.The listening skill leads to speaking fluently and the reading skill leads to writing very well.Thats what i really know.I hope i understood your question and gave you the answer you want.