bode well for

Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:20 pm GMT
The near complete absence of human contamination is enormously encouraging and bodes well for the Neanderthal nuclear genome sequences that have been generated from this sample.

What does "bode" mean here?
The dictionary says it's only a transitive verb but how come it's used as an intransitive?
The other usage is as a past form of the word "bide" but it's not relevant to this case.

Thanks.
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 pm GMT
RayH   Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:29 pm GMT
In this context anyway it means that there is likely to be a favorable outcome (favorable as defined by the writer, of course). I can only guess why the result mentioned in your excerpt is desired.
Uriel   Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:49 am GMT
To bode well for is to make a favorable outcome likely. The opposite is to bode ill for. As you can probably tell from the wording, this is sort of a remnant phrase from archaic English that has managed to survive into the modern day.

I'm pretty sure bode, bide, and abide are all etymologically related, and all are slightly archaic sounding but still see occasional usage.
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 am GMT
why doesnt the merriam webster include that definition???????
Mic Jhon   Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:33 am GMT
hi
I would glad to join you,I am a new member of your commodity so can u tell me all what is all about that commodity work for

Thanks & Regards

Jhon Mic

<a href="http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/nevada">Nevada Alcohol Addiction Treatment</a>
guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
<<I'm pretty sure bode, bide, and abide are all etymologically related, and all are slightly archaic sounding but still see occasional usage. >>

Actually, this particular form of 'bode' (meaning "to portend", "to foretell") from Old English 'bodian' ("to proclaim/announce") < 'boda' ("messenger") is a verb related to OE 'béodan' ("to command") < IE *bheudh-; and is thus related to 'forbid' (OE forbéodan) and 'beadle' (OE bydel)

The form of 'bode' meaning "stayed/waited" which is a preterite of 'bide' (cf. abide [vb]; abode [n] = "dwelling") is unrelated. 'Bide' comes from OE 'bídan' ("to remain/continue/dwell"; pret. 'bád'/'bid-') from IE *bheidh-. 'Bide' is distantly related to 'bid' (OE biddan - "ask") and 'bead' (OE gebed - "prayer")