How does Tagalog sound to you?

Guest   Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:06 pm GMT
-Does every country have its own version of "Yo soy Betty, la fea" ?-

Croatia has, this is the best AmericaF.lookalike so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHwqbdU_o2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHrX_zCuzgo
Noe   Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:57 am GMT
Watching these two commercials from the Philippines made me curious if people from other multilingual societies code switch as much as Filipinos do. Not even Spanglish speakers in the US switch back and forth this much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpfq0exVyqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njW4mbgmSd0
I hate spam   Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:20 am GMT
Singaporeans - they switch between Singlish, English, Mandarin, Hokkien, etc.
tweak   Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:55 pm GMT
I dated a few Filipinas before.. when ever i heard their family speak especially the older ones they always switch between English and Tagalog.. kinda weird.
LunĂ¡tico   Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:25 am GMT
I find Tagalog pretty strange. A question for those who speak it and to those who live in the Philippines, is there a rule that regulates how much English it is allowed to use in each sentence or is it up to the person who speak it to use English words as much as they want? It sounds pretty weird that when I hear it somebody speaking Tagalog, they use some Spanish-sounding words and then some Malay or some of their original language, and the full sentences in English. Can someone explain that pattern?
ten ten   Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:05 am GMT
Tagalog language is combined with spanish, english and other languages.
Some tagalog words are just simply english words but with an accent.
Jim   Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:03 am GMT
Much like Spanish.
Guest   Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:43 am GMT
Much like Asian English.
Sigh..   Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:00 am GMT
They switch to other words in other languages because those words don't exist in Tagalog. Tagalog is much like a "broken, or unfinished language"..For example, "imaginary" doesnt even exist in tagalog..unless its "parang totoo"..
Talinhasik   Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:53 am GMT
I'm a native Tagalog and I don't know where to begin explaining...

Pure Tagalog still exists especially in the Tagalog provinces around Metro Manila. Code switching happens, however, mainly for convenience, and secondarily as a way of accommodating foreigners or Filipinos whose mother tongue is not Tagalog.

For convenience, native speakers code-switch to English to describe an idea that's easier to express in English especially when it is widely understood anyway. This is similar to English speakers of old who liberally throws in French and Latin words and phrases every now and then.

Before the advent of Spanish conquistadores Tagalog was already a mixture of native words along with Sanskrit, Malay and Chinese. Then and now, however, Tagalog grammar was largely unaffected.

After 300 years of exposure to Spanish culture, the Tagalogs have assimilated many Castilian words into their tongue. Those words are spelled using Tagalog orthography but their pronunciation usually remains close to the original.

Taglish used to feel weird even to Tagalogs themselves and was largely frowned upon in the academia. Its popular use in the media, however, somewhat legitimized its use. Nowadays, using "deep Tagalog" in casual conversation doesn't sound very casual to its native hearers but pure Tagalog (or classic Tagalog) is used in casual conversation for dramatic effect.

If you want to hear pure formal Tagalog try attending formal gatherings, especially those conducted by intellectual types. English is usually preferred in intellectual conversations among those fluent in English, but to avoid being esteemed a victim of colonial mentality, they go bilingual or use Taglish.

One other reason is that some ideas are simply easier to express in Tagalog than in English. Sometimes Taglish beats both English and Tagalog in facility.
Invited   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:00 pm GMT
I suggest to to start creating new words.. fast, otherwise you're screwed, you can either take them from English or Spanish but make them look tagalog-like.
G   Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 pm GMT
"How does Tagalog sound to you?"

Like a bunch of rubbish.
H   Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
I know what a bunch of rubbish sounds like and it isn't that.
I   Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 pm GMT
"I know what a bunch of rubbish sounds like and it isn't that."

Then you obviously know nothing because Tagalog sounds like rubbish and crap.
Shoh   Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:41 am GMT
Half of Tagalog is Spanish. The other half is "blang blang blang."