Gezellig = Hyggelig ?

Luke   Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:11 pm GMT
Don't you think that the dutch concept of "gezelligheid" and the danish one of "hygge" are similar? Are there people able to compare them?
It is often said that they both can be translated as "cozy" in English, do you agree?
PARISIEN   Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 pm GMT
Absolument.
Certes, vu l'étymologie, "gezelligheid" draine davantage la connotation "convivialité", mais je ressens les 2 concepts comme interchangeables.
Luke   Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 am GMT
But it's still very strange that only some languages share this feature while others in the same family don't, I heard that German has a close word too to mean that, but what about the other germanic languages? English only has "cozy"...
And on the other side romance languages lack it completely.
Guest   Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:11 pm GMT
In German, ''cozy'' is ''behaglich'', ''gemütlich'' oder ''lauschig''.
Guest   Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:17 pm GMT
We have also ''Geselligkeit'', which translates, according dict.leo.org to some English concepts, one of it is ''conviviality'', but I wouldn't say that ''Geselligkeit'' necessarily needs to be ''behaglich'' or ''gemütlich'', and ''lauschig'' would more apply to a certain place or time (night) than to ''being together''.
Guest   Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
Are German "behaglich" and Danish "hyggelig" cognates?
Guest   Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:19 pm GMT
"I heard that German has a close word too to mean that, but what about the other germanic languages? English only has "cozy"... "

Synonyms for cozy:

buddy-buddy, chatty, cheerful, comfortable, congenial, contented, covering, cushy, easy, familiar, friendly, homey, informal, intimate, palsy-walsy, private, relaxing, safe, secure, snug, sociable, soft, talkative, toasty
Luke   Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:03 pm GMT
Well, that's impressive!
And it's also very nice to think that german languages all share this kind of nice concept. For example I know that the Dutch often use "gezellig" to describe a nice moment spent with friends and it's nice to think about that and as I already said I don't think there's a correct translation in any romance language.
PARISIEN   Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
<< the Dutch often use "gezellig" to describe a nice moment spent with friends and it's nice to think about that and as I already said I don't think there's a correct translation in any romance language. >>

-- 'Convivial' est la traduction exacte de 'gezellig', et est employé à tout propos en français (on parle même d'ordinateur "convivial" là où en anglais on dirait simplement "user-friendly")

De telles notions à la fois abstraites et affectives (confondues dans de nombreux langages dans le concept: 'cool'!) ont toujours des connotations différentes d'une langue à l'autre.

Ainsi, le danois 'hygglig' a un sens beaucoup plus intense et positif que le 'hygglig' suédois, qui signifie simplement 'correct', 'adéquat', 'sans problème'.

<< Are German "behaglich" and Danish "hyggelig" cognates? >>

-- Probablement pas. Le suédois distingue "behaglig" (= 'agréable, plaisant', comme en allemand) de 'hygglig'.
guest   Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:32 pm GMT
<<Are German "behaglich" and Danish "hyggelig" cognates? >>

I think perhaps the Danish word is related to English "hug" (ON hugga)

related perhaps to OE 'hogian' (care for), 'hycgan' (to think) and 'hecg' (hedge) and the Name 'Hugh'

??
Poster0   Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 am GMT
What do they mean?
ASCM   Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:49 pm GMT
Read the posts.