Ranking list of languages by learning difficulty?

Seljuk   Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:17 am GMT
By the way, Finnish/Estonian and Hungarian must come after German for a Turkish speaker...
Super Korean   Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
Although Korea and Turkey are distantly located on the map, the two languages have a lot of common features in terms of grammar.

I wouldn't say the two languages are closely related but I know several foreign students at my univeristy and the two Turkish guys speak Korean better than most other international students.
Guest   Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm GMT
If Korean and Turkish are related why is Spanish easier for a Turkish speaker than Korean?.
Breiniak   Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:35 pm GMT
From a Dutch speaker's view from easiest to hardest:

1) Germanic languages (Afrikaans easiest, followed by English and German Scandinavian languages hardest)
2) Romance languages (Spanish easiest, French hardest)
3) Hebrew (non-IE, but not that hard, except for its writing system)
4) Greek
5) South Slavic languages (Serbocroatian and Bulgarian easiest, Slovenian hardest)
6) East Slavic languages
7) West Slavic languages (damned Polish pronunciation)
Guest   Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:54 pm GMT
<If Korean and Turkish are related why is Spanish easier for a Turkish speaker than Korean?<

Because all posts and this topic itself are pointless and irrelevant.
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
From a greek speaker's view.
(easiest to hardest)

1.Spanish,Italian

2.English,French.

3.German,South slavic languages,Albanian.

4.Turkish,Russian.
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:13 pm GMT
Why Turkish and Russian are so hard for a Greek speaker?

Turkey and Greece are neighbors, and the Cyrillic alphabet is close to the Greek alphabet
Breiniak   Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:40 pm GMT
Nor the Latin, nor the Greek nor the Cyrillic alphabets are hard to learn. It's absurd to state that phonetic alphabets, that are simular even, make a language particulary harder.
Russian written in Greek or in Latin letters would still make it hard for this Greek speaker.

Polish, written in (though modified) Latin letters is generally perceived as more difficult than Bulgarian, written in Cyrillic. The writing just doesn't influence the difficulty of a language that greatly. That, except for consonant scripts (abjads, like Hebrew and Arabic) and logograms (like Kanji or Chinese signs).
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:10 pm GMT
From english speaking point of view, in order of increasing difficultly by language family:

Germanic

1)Dutch/Afrikaans/Frisian

2)Danish/Swedish/Norweigan

3)German.

4)Icelandic/Faroese

Romance

1) French

2) Italian/Spanish/Portuguese

3) Romanian.
K. T.   Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:39 am GMT
"From a greek speaker's view.
(easiest to hardest)

1.Spanish,Italian

2.English,French.

3.German,South slavic languages,Albanian.

4.Turkish,Russian."

Very interesting. I certainly understand the Spanish part. I was a little surprised to see French before German and Russian at the end. There is certainly some Greek in Serbo-Croatian. It was a nice surprise to learn that a few months ago.