How does Maori sound 2 u?

Kess   Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:14 pm GMT
How does Maori sound 2 u? Pleasant or harsh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyGBR9DU1g
Guest   Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
Sounds somewhat like Japanese.
Pleasant.
Love the Haka, btw.
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:28 am GMT
Sounds like an English speaker speaking a fake/dead language like Latin or Esperanto.
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:42 am GMT
Звучит странно, как то похоже на грузийнский язык.
Super Korean   Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
Wow it really sounds like western people speaking fake Japanese.

More nasal though.

Very interesting video clip! It's amazing native people still preserve their own language.
Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:34 am GMT
It's not amazing because all of these people are native speakers of English who learnt "Esperanto" Maori. The only true native speakers of Maori are in retirement homes.
Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
This is not true, since there are immersion kindergartens for most Maori children, so the percentage of speakers who use Maori as their mother language climed from 0.5% to 5% in only 20 years.
tea   Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 pm GMT
hey everybody. is there a difference between maori and maori english?i am totally confused now.I am supposed to write an important paper about maori english(phonology grammar etc.)and i am wondering if i have maybe mixed up those two and i am almoust finished with my paper! i googled maori english but the only thing i get is actually maori features.does anybody something more about that?
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm GMT
Maori English is the unique way that Maoris speak English. It's not because of Maori though, most of them don't know a word of Maori.
Caspian   Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 am GMT
This is amazing. I can see that it sounds a bit like Japanese - but it's interesting to observe the expression with which she reads the news. Her intonation, pauses, and expression sound exactly like any other news reader here in England, on the BBC!
Guest   Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 am GMT
The problem is that all of these people are native English speakers who are used to broadcasting in English, so when they broadcast in Maori they read with the exact same intonation as though it were English, which sounds very manufactured. Listen to any 'living' language spoken in a news broadcast and you will see none are pronounced with the exact same intonation and such.
Caspian   Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:37 am GMT
I see that - but it's still amazing that they've learnt the language.