languages without a native accent

Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:35 am GMT
What languages have lost or nearly lost their 'native accent'. By this I mean, that it is a second language for practically all the speakers and their accents are influenced by their first language, so there is no longer a 'native' accent. One language like this I believe is Maori, are there any others?
Breiniak   Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:25 am GMT
Navajo perhaps.
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:50 am GMT
All dead languages that people are trying to revive -- Latin and Sanskrit for example. Hebrew?
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:38 am GMT
What about Irish or Welsh?
Guest   Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
Neither of them is dead yet, perhaps?
Breiniak   Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
Hebrew is a bad example, because they still have their accents. Sephardis, Ashkenazis, Mizrahis and so on all had their proper liturgical tradition.
Guest   Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
Maori has the native accent: Hawaiki (old Maori homeland) is located in Cook Islands.
Jim   Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:05 am GMT
They have to have a native accent.
Guest   Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:57 am GMT
How about something like Esperanto, Interlingua, or Klingon?
Reg   Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:55 am GMT
I have actually seen "seperate" appear in a couple of official documents, one of them being one issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea for which there is no excuse at all. Surely even the Comissar has heard of spell-checkers. The most famous of these is that uttered by an extremely perplexed don at Oxford university directed at an extremely indolent student: "You have deliberately tasted two worms and I insist that you immediately leave Oxford by the town drain". The day that sees the irrevocable divergence of BE and AE will be the day when both countries have to insert subtitles. I'd much rather see a malapropism than a mis-spelling - much funnier. Spoonerisms are funny, too.