Is London or New York a more attractive place to live?

Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:00 pm GMT
Or you could go to a more typical city in the US like Seattle or Portland. Both are quite a bit more comfortable in the summer (imagine London but without the rain and humidity) but still manage to offer almost as many restaurant choices as New York city. Also, you can claim to have seen the "real US".
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:21 pm GMT
If you're looking for swarms of biting insects on your visit over here, and don't want to travel too far from NYC, you could try the Adirondacks. Try to be there on a warm, cloudy, windless late spring day, especially near sunset or sunrise.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm GMT
The answer to this question is easy peasy....forget London, forget New York City.......forgive my obvious bias but this is the place to be! This is THE City! If I do get transferred down to London in the very near future, for however long or however short, I'll make sure I get back hame here to Edinburgh as often as possible. London has loads of attractions for a young single guy but my hairt will ever be here in Edinburgh and Bonnie Scotland.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtzBdr8hTw&feature=related
Hello Dear   Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:00 pm GMT
Hello Dear

How are you today? i hope you are fine,well to me i am Ok,my name is
Vera Okana i saw your lovely profile and i really love it please write and tell me more about yourself,here is my email id (vera.okana@yahoo.com) as soon as i receive from you i will be happy to reply back with my picture,take care and happy to meet you,

yours
Vera
Vera = Scammer   Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:40 pm GMT
<<my name is Vera Okana i saw your lovely profile>>

There's no profiles here, you stupid African romance scammer. Go back to prostitution, that's the only thing you are supposed to do in your life.
Guest   Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:59 pm GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtzBdr8hTw&feature=related

Watched the video of that link.
Edingburgh is indeed a fantastic city, with all its gothic buildings and spires and tranquility.
Seems like the very epitomy of a city only found in fairy tales.
Guest   Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
By the way, the music to the video is very pleasant and quite suitable to the images of Edinburgh.
Guest   Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm GMT
The music to the video is very emotionally charged. It evokes a feeling of nostaliga. Is Edinburgh a nostalgic city?
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:50 pm GMT
You can't really call a city "nostalgic" as such - however old and long established it is. Nostalgia simply means a longing or yearning for anything from the past, particularly a past event or occurrence or situation, especially one in which you were directly involved yourself. A feeling of nostalgia can be brought about by any circumstance which reminds you of whatever it was which happened in the past.

I have lived in Edinburgh all my life so I just can't relate it to any feelings of nostalgia whatsoever, maybe because I haven't quite lived long enough yet to be able to invoke such feelings, nor have I been living away from the city, at least not yet anyway, particularly if it was a very long distance from here making it very difficult, if not impossible, to return home at regular intervals, and even more particularly if I was outside the UK. In that case if I were to either read about Edinburgh, or see a film or TV program about it, after being away for many years, then I daresay nostalgia would be chronic. But it's not the city itself that would be nostalgic - it would be my thoughts about it at that time.

I can understand what you meant though - it's the appearance of the city and it's architecture that exudes history - from the mediaeval heart of the city known now as the Auld Toon (Old Town) - with its narrow streets and steps and alleyways - to what we call the New Toon - the New Town - the later Georgian and Regency period district of the modern day CIty Centre, with its graceful buildings, squares and broad streets and crescents.

In spite of its antiquity Edinburgh is very much a modern city as well, and this blends in with the old very well indeed.

Tranquility? Some scenes of the city from the first link I posted may give the impression of laid back tranquility, but rest assured Edinburgh is anything but tranquil most of the time, especially during all the Festivals, be it the International Festival in August or the Winter Festival in December with its Christmas markets (as in many other parts of the UK and even more especially other parts of Europe), and culminating in Christmas itself and - even more significantly for any Scot - the occasion to beat all occasiuons on the Scottish scene - Hogmanay. Any Scot will give his/her utmost to get back to Scotland for Hogmanay, but failing that they were just have to wallow in nostalgia if they are far, far away and have been so for a long time! I never, ever want that to happen to me in years to come!

In one of the links below you will hear the crowds of people signing "Auld Lang Syne" once the midnight hour as been struck to ring in the New Year. It's so obvious that many of them are not native born Scots as no true Scot would sing "For the sake of Auld Lang Syne" or anything other than the correct form, but as so many people in this city over all the festivities are not Scots anyway, or even British, it's not surprising the words are "wrong"!

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought tae mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne!"

Christmas in Edinburgh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WxqTOX23M&feature=related

Christmas and Hogmanay in Edinburgh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfrHi4nrmkChristmas in Edinburgh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WxqTOX23M&feature=related

Christmas and Hogmanay in Edinburgh - Hogmany being the real highlight of the year here and in Scotland generally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfrHi4nrmk

As you may well guess I love my city to bits - I don't intend to be away from it long enough to ever suffer from nostalgia in future years, that's for sure.
Julie   Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
That's all very well, Damian, but can Edinburgh boast the world's first factory? I think you'll find that honour belongs to Derbyshire!

"Why, it is the the most handsome house in Derbyshire, and consequently the world!" - Jane Austen