How do you define 'the West'?

Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
The West = between Mississippi River and Pacific Ocean
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:06 am GMT
<<However, its relative lack poltical and economic stability often leads to its exclusion in most definitions.>>

How does the governmental stability of Mexico compare to that of France, Germany, Spain, italy, etc?
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:12 am GMT
<<The West = between Mississippi River and Pacific Ocean >>

I'd say the western US starts a bit farther west than that. There are twio possibilities:

1) Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and points west, or

2) The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and points west

In reality, It's probably a combination of the two: In the Dakotas (for example), the dry and hilly western half of the two states (west of the Missouri River, in SD) Some folks use the 100th meridian as the dividing line.
Uriel   Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 pm GMT
I think if you want a definition of the American West, you can look on a rainfall map and pick it our instantly. Down the center of the country there is a definite line where the precipitation levels just peter out, and the dry lands begin. That change in rainfall, terrain, and land use has led to the change in culture that you see between the primarily agriculturally-based Midwest and the much more sparsely-populated grazing and mineral-extraction lifestyle of westerners. I think the midwest extends a little west of that precipitation line, but once you hit the edge of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and central Texas, you are definitely out west.

(The west coast of the US is NOT "out west", however, since they have a significant rise in precipitation from the Pacific, a much higher population density, and a different lifestyle and economy. They are still west, though.)

Occasionally I like to pick up a copy of Sunset Magazine, which is sort of a Better Homes and Gardens for the western US -- if you live out here, you know you won't be growing any of those pretty cottage-style Eastern gardens that they love to feature in BH&G, and I guess someone finally got the smart idea to tailor a gardening and lifestyle magazine to those of us out here, featuring our plants and landscapes. Sunset divides up the west into a number of different climate regions and features gardens and travel destinations in each, including the desert southwest, the cooler Rockies and plains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, sunny California, the temperate rainforest of the Pacific Northwest (up to Alaska), and tropical Hawaii. It's amazing to see the diversity and the challenges that face gardeners and landscapers in these various areas!
WRP   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:35 pm GMT
I really dislike the term "The West" as it's one of those terms that seems to correspond to a geographic place, but doesn't really. I'd say "inner city" as in "inner city schools" is another, as is "heartland (of America)" are variations on the concept.
Wintereis   Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:43 pm GMT
<<(The west coast of the US is NOT "out west", however, since they have a significant rise in precipitation from the Pacific, a much higher population density, and a different lifestyle and economy. They are still west, though.) >>
So does that mean that in the Basin and Range region of the U.S. the Mountain ranges are not part of the West because they receive a high amount of moisture on average. . . and that only the basins, which are in the rain shadow of the mountains are part of the west? And what about high density areas like Phoenix and Denver. Are they not part of the west because of their size?
<<Тhe West is the USA and all of its bootlickers.>>
Well, if that’s not true I don’t know what is?
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:41 pm GMT
The "West" is from Bretagne to the Basque country at Spanish border. All the regions that borders the Atlantic.

http://www.michelebard.com/famille/images/chap1/carte1.gif
Skippy   Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:53 am GMT
It depends on the context... The first thing I, as a Texan, thought of was the Western US, which is the Rocky Mountain and Pacific states (every now and then you'll get states like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. thrown in).

"The West" as a geographical region tends to refer to Western Europe and is often meant to include the US and Canada. Every now and then it is also applied to Australia, New Zealand, and even Israel (as their people and institutions are European).

Also, depending on context, sometimes Central Europe and Eastern Europe are included.

Depending on how narrow the context is, sometimes you will see nations like Austria and Germany being excluded.

In my opinion, when I hear "the West" in an international context, I think of Western Europe (including Germany and Austria) as well as the US, Canada, Israel, Australia, and New Zealand.
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:38 am GMT
<<In my opinion, when I hear "the West" in an international context, I think of Western Europe (including Germany and Austria) as well as the US, Canada, Israel, Australia, and New Zealand. >>

Does the West not include Latin America?
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 am GMT
<<Does the West not include Latin America? >>

Yes -- they speak "western" languages, are predominately "western" in religion, etc. Also, they're in the Western Hemisphere.
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:31 am GMT
"Gender equality is a Catholic concept. Consider that these notions were created by Catholic freemasons wo opposed the Catholic faith but were culturally Catholic. Big ideals like the redemption of Humanity by bringing equality , hapyness and tolerance by an illustrated elite usually are born in Catholic nations . Just consider France for example, the progressive country par excellence. Protestant countries tend are more attached to tradition and don't like big changes."

I don't agree with that by a long shot. Consider this: Birth control and divorce are still banned by the Catholic Church. Hardly progressive, if you ask me.
Uriel   Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:27 am GMT
<<<<(The west coast of the US is NOT "out west", however, since they have a significant rise in precipitation from the Pacific, a much higher population density, and a different lifestyle and economy. They are still west, though.) >>
So does that mean that in the Basin and Range region of the U.S. the Mountain ranges are not part of the West because they receive a high amount of moisture on average. . . and that only the basins, which are in the rain shadow of the mountains are part of the west? And what about high density areas like Phoenix and Denver. Are they not part of the west because of their size? >>

Nope. You can have big cities in the southwest or the Rockies, and there can be rainy areas -- just as there are sparsely populated areas in CA, plus the whole Mojave Desert. But on average, you're talking a whole different cultural region when you cross the Sierra Nevada, and a lot of the basis for that change lies in the land itself and the limitations it puts (or doesn't put) on the people who live there. I remember moving from California to New Mexico -- it was a big, big change, and not just in scenery. I missed California for a LONG time! ;)
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
<<But on average, you're talking a whole different cultural region when you cross the Sierra Nevada,>>

Regardless of cultural differences, I'd still consider California in the Western US. There's a big cultural difference between Vermont and Kentucky (for example), but they're both in the eastern US.
Skippy   Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
Latin America is typically excluded from "the West" despite their linguistic and religious heritage as "the West" tends to refer only to "Western" nations of the global "North."
Guest   Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:33 am GMT
Latin America is typically excluded from "the West" despite their linguistic and religious heritage as "the West" tends to refer only to "Western" nations of the global "North."

Why is it excluded?