Do AE and BE sometimes overlapping?

Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 am GMT
I learned in school in Germany that Americans and British use different words and grammar when they speak "English", but I often hear Americans who uses British words and British who uses American words. For example we were teached that "fall" is American English but "Autumn" is British English, however I have heard people from the USA call it "Autumn" as well as I heard British people say "fall" when they should be saying "autumn". I have also heard Americans use the world "shall" when in school we were teached that this is only BE.

This also affects grammar as well. I often here Americans using grammatical constructions that I was taught where BE such as present perfect, when they should be using simple past as well as BE speakers using AE constructions such as the simple past when present perfect should be used.

Where do we put the line between AE and BE?
There are many other examples, but it is strenuous for me to type a lot in English.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:16 am GMT
First of all, the title of this thread is grammatically incorrect. It should be "Do AE and BE sometimes overlap?" Second, the answer is obviously yes. You yourself have experienced that many of the often cited distinctions between American and British English are only tendencies and not hard and fast rules. There are some differences that really do almost always apply, though. For instance, you probably won't hear a Brit talk about his or her "fanny pack".
WRP   Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:22 am GMT
Of course for all the hype one hears about the different meanings of fanny in the UK and the US, fanny is now rarely used in the US except in fanny pack. And let's be real, fanny packs don't come up in conversation very much.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:59 am GMT
AUTUMN is poetic, and formal.
FILM is oldfashioned are technical (movie industry), the correct name is MOTION PICTURE or colloquialy MOVIE. Films are made by Kodak and Fuji.

SHALL is being phased out. Only old people still used, but only in offers: Shall we go? We shall, -No, we shan't
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:01 am GMT
AUTUMN is poetic, and formal.
FILM is old-fashioned and technical (movie industry), the correct name is MOTION PICTURE or colloquially MOVIE. Films are made by Kodak and Fuji.

SHALL is being phased out. Only old people still use it, but only in offers: Shall we go? We shall, -No, we shan't; No one would ever say: Tomorrow we shall go fishing.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:05 am GMT
Phonetics is more interesting. Sometimes RP uses vowel close to /A/ in
''long, song'' (/Q/ but some RP speakers unround it like Irish or Western US or Atlantic Canada), it's much closer to my /A/ pronunciation than NYC/NJ
closed, raised, very rounded /o/...
Matt   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:18 am GMT
You will never hear a British person referring to autumn as the fall, so your recollection is faulty. The opposite could be true. Yes, there is some overlap. Foreigners are taught that "post" is British and "mail" is American, but in the UK we have the Royal Mail and in the US they have the US Post Office.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:24 am GMT
"You will never hear a British person referring to autumn as the fall."

This isn't true
George   Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:42 pm GMT
The 'problem' is that they are simply the same language. The overlap is almost everything. There are, of course, differences and when they are listed they appear quite long, but are nothing compared to the entirety of the language and perfectly comparable with differences with each country.

Both 'film' and 'movie' are well understood in both places, but there are preferences for one over the other in each country. I didn't check the exact meaning when used, but in the British National Corpus, 'film' appears over 10,000 times and 'movie' appears less than 2000 times. Neither is wrong in either place. I don't think anyone actually says 'motion picture' much, even if it is written on things.

'Fall' is a word that originated in Britain, but has since fallen out of use and would be viewed by many nowadays as a sign of an American writer. 'Autumn' is by no means always poetic. It seems to me, what is poetic depends on the context.

Nothing is 'phased out' in English as there is no governing body of English and even when a language does have one, they don't usually hold much sway over people's usage. I shall be using 'shall' for a long time.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:26 pm GMT
Didn't you hear? New management is coming onboard, they're clearing out some of the old junk.
George   Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:09 pm GMT
Bonza! :)
Lazar   Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
Here in the United States, I would say that "autumn" (though less common) is acceptable as an alternative name and wouldn't be viewed as particularly British.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:56 pm GMT
The OP is a fake btw. He puts teached in the first paragraph then puts the correct word taught in the second.
Carol   Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
I have found an interesting blog on the differences between BrE and AmE. Going over the old posts would probably show some of the basics. It's at:

http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/
Uriel   Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
We overlap immensely -- there are a few minor differences here and there, but it's all just English.