Where can i find mostly used Dutch words?

Seljuk   Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:20 pm GMT
I'm going to Groningen next year to get married to een Nederlandse vrouw :P so i'm learning Dutch now with Wilsan. But I wanna memorize at least 2000 first Dutch vocabulary to get ready... Any advice?
Breiniak   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
"schijnhuwelijk" and "uitkering" are useful words.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
At a secondhand Dutch shop...
lol   Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:31 am GMT
LOL. i get it.
Seljuk   Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:30 pm GMT
You all bitches misunderstood me... My marriage is already for a real love, but you dumps never understand what love means... Never help, never find your language necessary, idiot dutch people...
K. T.   Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:01 pm GMT
Seljuk, don't blow a gasket over this. When looking for this kind of help, here are some better ways to ask:

"Where can a find a book with high frequency words in Dutch?" or
"Where can I find a list of the most common (or commonly) used words in Dutch?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "my marriage is already for a real love", but I think you mean "I'm getting married for love." While I think some people may understand you, you may be misunderstood if you put it that way.

I doubt that it will make you feel any better, but I have said funny things
on occasion (by mistake) in other languages. Learn to deal with it, please.
It's part and parcel of speaking another language.

If you are going to marry a Dutch lady (een Nederlandse vrouw) as you put it, perhaps you should consider other words than "idiots" for her countrymen.

Every international marriage probably has its issues, think about how you will react to teasing, racists, etc., so you don't blow up later.
K. T.   Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm GMT
Okay, I just thought of this resource. Google "Dutch Penton overseas" and look at their Vocabulearn series. They have two levels for Dutch and you'll get at least 5,000 words (spoken, plus listing of the words) Plus it is bilingual English/Dutch. It's 19.95 for each of the two levels from the company, although I've found some Vocabulearn materials less expensive on Amazon.

If you buy directly from the company and are interested in other languages, teach languages, etc. ask about a discount.

This company is a super resource for vocabulary in other languages as well. They have three levels for the big languages and they also have resources for some "exotics".
K. T.   Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:23 pm GMT
So, you can try if you want to use "most":

The most commonly used words in Dutch
The Dutch words used the most.
The most common words in Dutch
Guest   Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
What's offensive about the dutch words in the second posting?
K. T.   Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
I think they refer to a marriage of convenience and alimony.
Guest   Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:50 pm GMT
Are you guessing or actually knowing what they mean? No offence intended there.
Guest   Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
I'm Dutch, and K.T. is correct.
K. T.   Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:51 pm GMT
I'm pretty sure the first one is a marriage of convenience. IF it has another meaning (as in blatantly offensive), I don't know what it is. Of course, merely mentioning this (suggesting that Seljuk is marrying to get some sort of legitimacy could be construed as funny or offensive.) No, I'm not sure about the second one, but I'll look it up. Give me a minute.
K. T.   Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
I see that another guest has confirmed this. I thought that there were other possible translations for "uitkering", but "alimony" seemed like the
likely choice.
PARISIEN   Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:59 pm GMT
<< schijnhuwelijk" and "uitkering" are useful words. >>
ROFL!

<< I'm pretty sure the first one [ schijnhuwelijk ] is a marriage of convenience. >>
Right.
And "uitkering" = "welfare checks"...