Modern Standard Arabic

Student   Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:50 am GMT
It is not spoken natively, but it is official in all Arabic countries (some 25). Arabic people that don't go to school, don't understand this language. They speak Moroccan Arabic, Egyptian Arabic or Gulf Arabic, very different languages.

A lot of people say that Arabic will be one of the key languages of the XXI century. I don't know if it is a good choice or it is better to study another important European language.

What do you think about this?
Estel   Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:01 am GMT
I know for a fact that when interacting with arab people, they prefer to speak English or French rather than Modern Standard Arabic. They always say that it's too hard to understand.

I guess I'll stick to English and French, then.
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:39 pm GMT
Can people from Arabic World confirm that?

I didn't know that they speak better French or English than MSA.
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 pm GMT
Complete rubbish, all educated arabs understand MSA. And to the idiot who said...speak French or English over there. What is the point of learning ANY language if that is your attitude. You could get by on English and French everywhere in the world almost.

Arabic is an incredible language, and in terms of employment; it always looks good speaking it!
#
Stu jay Raj had an article about it on his blog check that out.
Güest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:09 pm GMT
It is true that many native Arabic speakers actually don't feel very natural speaking MSA. Sure it's the language you read most in, but most Arabs actually speak it in everyday situation only with foreigners. Even when a Moroccan meets an Iraqi, they would most likely speak a modified dialect instead of MSA.
English is easier to learn than Arabic, you can be sure about that.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
It depends on your job. Some security jobs in USA and Europe look for people that speak Arabic.