Loves it!

Kess   Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:33 pm GMT
Why did Paris Hilton say: Maui! Loves it!
instead of Maui!I love it!

Is it common in English to talk about yourself
in 3rd person? (French has 3rd person ON and Brazilian has 3rd person A GENTE instead of 1st person ''we'').
Estel   Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:38 pm GMT
I wouldn't say it's that common since I don't hear too many people speak in 3rd person when talking. But I do hear it once in awhile, so it's not that uncommon either. My guess is that it's just people's preferences.
Guest   Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:40 pm GMT
It's idiosynchratic, as well as idiotsynchratic.
Dawie   Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:19 pm GMT
Usually people with either delusions of grandeur or mental problems speak about themselves in the third person. I'll let you decide which category Paris Hilton fits into.
Lazar   Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 pm GMT
I think it's probably an idiosyncratic affectation - not something that most native speakers would use, although they'd be able to understand it.
Leasnam   Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:48 pm GMT
I didn't hear the original quote myself, but it is common for Am younger generation people to amusingly use AAVE English forms like "I loves", "I is" etc.

Is it possible that she was doing this ? What was the context or situation like when she said it?
Guest   Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:19 pm GMT
-I didn't hear the original quote myself, but it is common for Am younger generation people to amusingly use AAVE English forms like "I loves", "I is" etc. -

I think it's: Me thinks, (me) loves it, (me) likes it ;)
Vera   Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
hello
TomJimJack   Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:29 pm GMT
Who the fuck is Paris Hilton to be an example of English? Place Pigalle would suit her best.
Guest   Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:42 pm GMT
<<Is it common in English to talk about yourself
in 3rd person? (French has 3rd person ON and Brazilian has 3rd person A GENTE instead of 1st person ''we''). >>

I wouldn't go around comfortably saying that it's common for French and Brazilian people to speak in the 3rd person if I were you. Because it's not.
Skippy   Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
I think it's probably just a silly way of speaking as opposed to indicative of her normal speech... For example, Michael Scott on the US Office says, at one point, "me no get an agenda..." while that is clearly not how he would normally speak or indicative of any particular accent as much as it is just him trying to be goofy.
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:31 am GMT
-I wouldn't go around comfortably saying that it's common for French and Brazilian people to speak in the 3rd person if I were you. Because it's not. -

no?

VocĂȘ sabe? = Do you know?
A gente sabe. = We know.

sabe = 3rd person singular of the word ''saber'' to know
Nosey.   Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:14 am GMT
<<Is it common in English to talk about yourself
in 3rd person? (French has 3rd person ON and Brazilian has 3rd person A GENTE instead of 1st person ''we''). >>

I completely agree with guest.

Living as a Brit, in Brazil, I find it completely normal to speak in the 3rd person when speaking Portuguese. In the south, they also often refer to the 1st and 2nd person in the 3rd person.

"Tu tens." (2nd person) is the correct way, but you hear "Tu tem."
"A gente tem." Just the same as (3rd person) "Ele tem."

From the verb "Tener" = To have or There is.

So, next time you question this, take a look at our own English language when you next greet someone and ask them;

"How's you?"

How-is-you??? not... How-are-you. (If that's not 3rd person, I don't know what is.)

Now, do you find it a bit more "Normal?", or do you have an air of grandure?
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:34 am GMT
More like an air of being uneducated and/or stupid