Tungsten or wolfram?

Xatufan   Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:08 pm GMT
Wikipedia says that "wolfram" is an old word, no longer in use. (Well, it says: Tungsten, formerly wolfram", but it's the same). Is it true?

Why?

BTW, what word do you use to call this metal?
Deborah   Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:40 pm GMT
I've only heard tungsten.
Sander   Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:55 pm GMT
Definately Wolfraam!
Xatufan   Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:19 pm GMT
This is only about English. For other languages visit its equivalent in the other forum.
Dave   Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:35 am GMT
"Tungsten" is the modern expression, "wolfram" is correct, but may seem old-fashioned, like using "computer programme".
Hans   Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:16 am GMT
That wasn't me Sander.
Sander   Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:55 am GMT
WeiB ich doch Hans :)
Hans   Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:18 pm GMT
<Weiß ich doch Hans :)>

Thankyou Sander I would never say a thing like that.. and Im glad you believed me.
Sander   Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:26 pm GMT
You should visite the other Antimoon forum.Its more active than this one and no impersonators.
Hans   Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:38 pm GMT
Other Antimoon forum? Where? Do you have anyother places like this site..?
Adam   Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:13 pm GMT
This is about English, not some strange, exotic tongues spoken in some strane, exotic far away places that are not a part of the British Isles.

Holland? By 2020, with sea levels rising due to global warming, all of that country will be underwater.
Sander   Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:58 pm GMT
Hans,

Yes,the forum was under atack by 'trolls' ,like Adam, a while ago and the website underwent a number of technical changes and the forum was unaccesable for a long while so we created a temporary forum as a replacement...but that forum (google for antimoonbis,or follow the link) is much more divers and active!

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://14.freebb.com/index.php%3Ffreebb%3Dantimoonbis&e=9711

Enjoy!
Adam   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:18 pm GMT
We can call it tungsten or wolfram. Just take your pick.

The word "tungsten" comes from the Swedish "tung sten" which means "heavy stone."
Adam   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
The word, "tungsten" denotes a substance of high density, and is derived from the Swedish language, "tung", meaning "heavy," and "sten", meaning "stone." The chemical symbol for tungsten is W, which stands for wolfram. The name came from medieval German smelters, who found that tin ores containing tungsten had a much lower yield. It was said that the tungsten devoured the tin "like a wolf". Pure tungsten metal was first isolated by two Spanish chemists, the de Elhujar brothers in 1723.
Sander   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:26 pm GMT
Do you really really REALLY think that telling things others have said before copy pasting articles and making it seem they're your own MAKES YOU SEEM SMART!