Mandarin Chinese or Japanese?

Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:42 am GMT
Which do you enjoy speaking or trying to speak? I go with Japanese because I don't have to worry about tones, and the words are loads of fun to pronounce. Hajimemashite!
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm GMT
If I had 3 years, Chinese (more important)

If you have more than 20, only English, Spanish, French, Italian...(same alphabet, same Indoeuropean family, etc). But between Japanese and Chinese, I bet for Japanese, the easiest one.
Luca   Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:38 pm GMT
Japanese!

It may take a lot of time to build your own vocabulary and to learn when to use the different particles but it would take the double to speak Chinese fluently and naturally.
Skippy   Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
It's likely that within the next half century Chinese is going to become extremely important throughout the non-Chinese speaking world, but it's not definite. If you are learning for pleasure, I would say Japanese would be far less frustrating, and if you are learning for business I would also say Japanese because more companies in East Asia conduct corporate-level business with the Japanese.
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:32 am GMT
Grait! Hav fun!
Jun-su   Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 am GMT
Chinese for sure.

"more companies in East Asia conduct corporate-level business with the Japanese"

I don't quite understand what you mean here. If you mean Japan has the largest economy in East Asia; yes. If you mean that China, Korea, and Taiwan do more business with Japan than with any other country; no, that would be the US.

For business Chinese is the best bet as so many foreign companies are trying desperately to enter Chinese markets and someone who can speak English and Chinese well can make a lot of money. And if you think Japanese businesses go to China and expect the Chinese to speak Japanese to them you are incorrect.
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:16 am GMT
I am the OP here. I was simply asking which you enjoy to speak. Economy of China and Japan have little to do with the question. Which do you enjoy speaking and why?
TANG   Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 am GMT
I'm a Chinese (native Mandarin speaker), and I'm studying Japanese.

I like listening to both of them.
TANG   Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 am GMT
<Which do you enjoy speaking and why?>

Mandarin & Japanese.
Because Mandarin is my native langauge, and Japanese is my favorite choice for second foreign language.
XiaoQ   Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 am GMT
I will choose chinese,cause many kanji are from chinese.As China increasingly is seen as a growing business power, interest in learning the Chinese language had rocketed, and dominance of Chinese over English will be a long time coming. More and more people begin to learn Chinese, because here is clear career potential for the future. help you learn easier and faster. Check this site http://www.hellomandarin.com/