what's the difference beteween rest, peace ,calm and repose?

Alek777   Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 am GMT
Dear colleagues, i'm writing the research work. can you help me to answer the following question as the native speakers.
> >
> > What is the difference between rest, peace, calm and repose for you personally?
> >
> > thank you very much,
> > with best regards Alex
up   Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
up
Uriel   Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:40 am GMT
Rest -- to take a break. Can be physical or mental.
Peace -- several meanings, but I assume you mean something along the lines of contentment
Calm -- state of tranquility, or at least of not being agitated or stressed
Repose -- to lie down
Laura Braun   Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:49 am GMT
The only one which matter is peace. May be because Jesus is called Prince of peace.
Rest is when you get a rest or you die and then you are rest in peace

calm is when you are nervous and when you calm down. Or just calm.
Repose I have no idea what does it means. Anyway.
Simon   Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:10 am GMT
They're all about the same.
Guest   Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:25 am GMT
>> They're all about the same.

Not really.
Uriel   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:58 am GMT
They CAN be synonyms, but they can also be different, as each one has multiple meanings. To rest your arm on a table is not the same as taking a rest on the couch. Nor is it anything like being a body at rest, in the definition of inertia.

Peace may mean calmness and tranquility, or simply the state of being quiet and still and not loud and frenetic. It is also the opposite of conflict or war, and to be "at peace" can also be a euphemism for being dead, as well as simply for being contented. "To make your peace with (something)" is to come to terms with it, or find a way to accept it, and implies that you previously had a hard time with that issue until you found a way to reconcile yourself with it and internalize it.

Calm can mean various things -- a sense of emotional stillness and tranquility, or being cool and collected. It can have ominous connotations as well as positive one -- sailors feared the helplessness of being stuck in a "dead calm", where no wind filled their sails, and they were forced to drift with the waves, and there is also "the calm before the storm" -- a quiet period that presages a violent cataclysm, either meteorological or metaphorical, and is always to be dreaded.

Repose can mean to lay teh whole body down, or it can mean to have no particular expression, as in a face in repose. It is somewhat poetic, and can also be associated with death.