how can i be fluent in english for just a month.

Matt   Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:23 pm GMT
The thread title says you want to be fluent "for a month", but your subsequent explanation indicates you want to be fluent "in a month". These are different in meaning.
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:33 pm GMT
Oh, you did notice.
K. T.   Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:54 pm GMT
I see. I haven't seen a reason for your correction, Matt. I suppose the implication is that if the original poster is NOT a native speaker, he or she certainly writes ENGLISH very well.

"Mind you that just because one can write relatively well in a given language does not mean that one is necessarily anywhere near fluent in that language in actual speech. Hell, I myself can make reasonable-looking written German if I try hard enough (even though I am getting rustier these days), but I can only say basic sentences and like in Real Life without needing a dictionary to look up words in." -Travis

Would you say that your sentences sound natural or formal in German?
Perhaps a mix of formal language and slang? It is not easy to strike a balance that results in a pleasant style in a foreign language. That's why natural-sounding polyglots who read, write and speak very well are impressive.
Travis   Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
>>Would you say that your sentences sound natural or formal in German?
Perhaps a mix of formal language and slang? It is not easy to strike a balance that results in a pleasant style in a foreign language. That's why natural-sounding polyglots who read, write and speak very well are impressive.<<

My written German is most certainly on the formal side, even when such a level of formality is not necessary (such as when using IRC), simply because I really do not have a whole lot of exposure to more informal German, such that I probably would not be able to sound natural in such were I to attempt to use a more informal style overall.
Deary, me....   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm GMT
Matt has made the classic mistake of "blowing his own trumpet" and still making basic errors. (Being a sub-editor, tut-tut.)

????It is become clear that????

Should it not be, "It has become clear, ..." or "It is becoming clear, ..."?

Just thought, I should point this out.
Deary, me....   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
Also, whilst I'm on the point of picking on people....

Matt also said, "There are no doubt natitive speakers ..... ".

What a completely atrocious sentence. I think he possibly wanted it to come out like this;

There is no doubt, that there are native speakers who have a "tin ear" for their own language and don't have a "good feel" of native English.

Think you might want to reconsider your job position.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
<<Matt also said, "There are no doubt natitive speakers ..... ".>>

What's wrong with the original sentence? It seems to be as good as the average sentence you find around here.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:59 pm GMT
And Matt is an average troll you find around here.
Another Guest   Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:53 am GMT
I wonder what makes Matt think that he can simply make up rules. Especially since he seems to have trouble with the existing ones.

"As an English-language subeditor, I am working on articles written by "native speakers", such as yourselves if you are native speakers, but they are riddled with errors that would not once have been made by graduates."

"such as yourselves if you are native speakers" is clunky if not outright wrong, and it should be "errors that once would not have been made by graduates".