Do you think how many languages can a person require?

Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:14 am GMT
I mean, as a normal man, how many languages do we require for our ability normally?

I remember there is a research coming from the Institution in Copenhagen stating that "a child normally can speak 4 languages for their ability"..

How do u think? Explain your idea with the source.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 am GMT

Knowing languages has nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with circumstance.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:15 am GMT
The common native speaker of English usually needs exactly 1 language in his entire life.
nana   Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:14 am GMT
In Belgium: 4 languages
English,French,German,plus Dutch
in Luxembourg, 4 languages

Luxembourgish,German,French,and English
Luca   Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:03 pm GMT
For people who are not native English speakers: two.
But I would say learning an additional language for passion or interest could be nice too, so: three.
I believe even the European Union fixed a minimun of three languages for every person in Europe, something like:
1 your native language
2 English
3 the language of your country's neighbour.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:58 pm GMT
in Europe you don't necessarily need any foreign language if you don't plan to work or travel abroad, there are plenty of (older) people who came along quite well in their whole life without knowing any foreign language
and there is no such "minimum of three languages" in Europe

that doesn't change the fact that it's always good and a mark of education to know some foreign languages
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:48 pm GMT
<<3 the language of your country's neighbour. >>

So, in France, you'd need:

1 - French (and possibly some local dialect/language)
2 - English
3 - Spanish, Catalan, Italian, German, English (also see #2), and perhaps Dutch

So, ideally, you'd need to know 6-8 languages?
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:10 am GMT
In Asia such as China or Japan , you only needs 2
Your native and English.
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:16 am GMT
Depends on what your job is. 91% of all jobs don't require a foreign language. So if one of those is your job you need only 1 life for your whole life.
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 am GMT
That is true, and in addition do not forget that of these 7 languages, many of them will be closely related and have a greatly overlapping vocabulary. Someone who knows Spanish French and Portuguese problably knows less 'completely different words' than someone who knows just French and Russian.
Luca   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:58 am GMT
<<in Europe you don't necessarily need any foreign language if you don't plan to work or travel abroad, there are plenty of (older) people who came along quite well in their whole life without knowing any foreign language
and there is no such "minimum of three languages" in Europe
that doesn't change the fact that it's always good and a mark of education to know some foreign languages>>

...Yes, if you're planning to live in your house for the rest of your life than I think you won't need any foreign language, but if you live in Europe you must speak at least English because while we may be a bit different from our grandparents who couldn't travel a lot, today you may have to give tourists visiting your country some information or you may even want to visit (my god!) a foreign country! This is not only a mark of education but it's necessary in 2008 Europe.
Secondly, I'm not saying that the EU will lock everyone who can't speak at least 3 languages in prison, only that all the policies of the Union tend towards promoting a three languages education, that's why in most of the school nowadays they teach 2 foreign languages (one of them being English). And eventually if I said "the language of your country's neighbour" (using the singular form), means that you may only learn the language of ONE of the many countries yours borders with.
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:19 pm GMT
>> but if you live in Europe you must speak at least English because while we may be a bit different from our grandparents who couldn't travel a lot, today you may have to give tourists visiting your country some information

who says that as a European you have to guide tourists through your home town for free?

every European has the right to say "I don't understand a fucking word of what you're saying" in his native language (best with some thick accent) and then look at their faces ... LOL

>> or you may even want to visit (my god!) a foreign country

Foreign languages are very helpful but they are not absolutely necessary
And who says you always have to learn foreign languages for traveling abroad? In Europe there are many countries which share common languages.

>> Secondly, I'm not saying that the EU will lock everyone who can't speak at least 3 languages in prison, only that all the policies of the Union tend towards promoting a three languages education, that's why in most of the school nowadays they teach 2 foreign languages (one of them being English).

But only in secondary schools. In schools for the underclass usually only English is taught. Many of the pupils there can't even speak their native language correctly.
dfs   Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 am GMT
There was a figure in history called "Moe Berg" who knows several languages(about 9 to 11 languages),but I dunno how many languages he was fluent in.(speaks like a native)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Berg
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:43 am GMT
You can claim you know 100 languages just by learning one word per language. Haha!
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 am GMT
I know "I love you" phrase in 17 languages, does it mean that I know 17 languages?

I know how to speak Maori, but I don't know how to write it, does it mean I have the knowledge of Maori?