Verb Similarities

C H M   Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
Have any of you notices the similarities in verb conjugations between Indo-European languages?

Obviously the romance languages, but for example, Lithuanian as well.
Here are the present tense verb endings for a type 1 Lithuanian verb.

I - u
You - i
He/ She - a
We - ame
You (pl) - ate

Is this not similar to the Italian?
Leasnam   Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:55 pm GMT
Yes, that is one of the many similarities which led scholars to conclude the IE hypothesis in the first place.

although, only the "we" and "you(pl)" forms above show the true IE configuration.

"I" does for certain moods, the indicative for IE "I" was '-mi'

I would say that these outlying similarities between Lithuanian and Italian are coincidental, or parallel--but not stemming necessarily from a common origin
Alice   Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 am GMT
I like what has been written.
Luca   Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:42 pm GMT
Yes, especially if you compare it with an Italian verb conjugation, for example "to do"

io faccio
tu fai
egli fa
noi facciamo
voi fate
essi fanno

It is also particular to notice that even Finnish (not indo-european) shows some close features like in the conjugation of the verb "to speak"

minä puhun
sinä puhut
hän puhuu
me puhumme
te puhutte
he puhuvat

especially at the first and second plural persons. Is it just casual or is it contamination?
K. T.   Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:50 pm GMT
Yes, I've noticed this. Italian is a good language to use for comparison. I've seen similarities in Russian, Greek, Italian and to some extent in French, Spanish and Serbo-Croatian. Noticing things like this (to a layperson like myself) is one of the joys of learning IE languages.
Gjones2   Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:16 am GMT
There are other conjugations.