having a hard for a job interview

yancel   Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:40 am GMT
i am really having a hard time in preparing for the job interview.especially we are required to speak in English with American accent.what should i do?
Laura Braun   Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:47 am GMT
no, that's not your problem , because even if you don't speak english with american accent you still have opportunity. The question is how much they are going to pay you per hour. That's the important thing. Do not sell yourself for less than you deserve it.
jo   Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 am GMT
what should i do before an interview..I really fell nervous,It seems like I cant make it.What should I do?
Long Term Analyst   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 am GMT
Let's see. The potential for mistakes here is enormous, but so is the potential for long term success and prosperity. First of all, if you were to go in and speak in American English witha perfect accent, that would put you on a level playing field with all of the other candidates, however, and this however depends ona huge number of independent variables uniquely determined by you and your indivdual circumstance, but being in with the field is not always a good thing and of couse it could cause you to be overlooked and forgotten amongst the other candidates. If you speak without a perfect American accent there is quite an impressive chance that the interviewers will recollect you well after the interveiw has terminanted and will be sure not to overlook you, that is of course provided that you are able to overcome the linguistic difficulties and still offer them with the required services required from one holding your position. I do not know why you say it is required to speak American English, as far as my understanding goes, this is hightly uncommon and would only be likely to ocurr in a position where one is required to speak American English perfectly for the reason that the occupation is directly related to linguistics and language acquisiton. For example, if you are a teacher of foreign languages or a speech therapist then it would be absolutely essential that you spoke American English without any problems and nothing giving you away what so ever. As far as my previous research and analysis has lead me to believe, the United States of America is a very opportunity ridden country. People of all kinds of different background are able to reach astounding heights in society and your lack of an American accent will in no way handicap you. Another point worthy of analysis is the simple fact that if you yourself are not actually a native speaker of English, then unless you are endowed with some kind of amazing natural ability or an incredible work ethic it will be quite difficult for you to erase all the traces of your native accent to the point that it entirely disappears. That means that even if you try your best to pull off an effective American accent it is quite likely that it will not be entirely correct and that those carrying out the interview will detect this immediately. I would suggest for a greater benefit that you use your natural accent, which provided it is not seriously disgusting will make you come accross as a less forced person. Having said that, you should of course continue to develop your accent skills as it is important to be understood well and without losing anything at all especially if this job for which you aspiring is a high position or a position entailing a lot of responsibility. You should be able to communicate effectively with your fellow human beings without being hindered by accent problems. But once you reach a competent level I would suggest you devote your energy to your job rather than a pointless pursuit of a perfect accent. you will be much more valued in your job if you work hard at the job itself rather than speaking like a native speaker. Of course this analysis continues under the assumption that your position is not one specifically related to linguistic pursuits, in the case that such is so I would need to spend a few more minutes, or maybe tens of minutes brainstorming and coming up with a Long Term Plan to provide you with the right kind of assesment you need in order to be able to take the correct situation in that case. I will be ready to provide you with such should you feel that I have not grasped fully your situation, just reply and tell me and I will start right away to formulate a new System of Attack in the case where you specifically need an American accent to function in the given position. I do not think it would be impossible to prosper in such circumstances, however it would certainly complicate matters much more deeply than in the case where it is not necessary to master American pronunciation. Thus it will require a much more in depth analysis than in the simple case. I hope you will manage to find a comprimise for yourself in your individual circumstance.
Laura Braun   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 am GMT
Calm down!!! First of all do not start your intervew from the point of a loosing cause. Behave like a winner. You worth. No matter of your accent. If I were I wouldn't put all my hopes in one intervew. If you don't get this job, start to seek for other opportunity. There are other posibilities, that's for sure.
But if you wish to get that job you have to behave like a winner. First of all :
1. EYE CONTACT: - look that who interview you in the eyes. that's the most important thing. Do not avoid his eyes at the whole time.
wait I will write after a while
Laura Braun   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:08 am GMT
2. Wear proper clothes - do not go with jeans and T- shirt. Don't forget - that's first impression.
Laura Braun   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 am GMT
3. Listen very carefully and reply only if they need your reply. Don't speak too much, especially if you worry for your accent.
4. Train yourself in front of mirror. How do you look like.

5> SMILE: Americans like those who smile a lot. That's positive attitude and show your good character.
anna   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:32 am GMT
If you where a cactus,why?
pen   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:34 am GMT
what are possible answer on this question .what are your strengths
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:27 am GMT
***especially we are required to speak in English with American accent***

As Americans seem fond of saying: "Are you serious?"

Are you telling us that you have been instructed (or ordered?) to speak in an accent other than your own? Your own native accent whatever that may be? As Londoners are so fond of saying: "Yer 'avin a larf, ain't ya, mite?"

You used the plural "we" - so you are not alone in this set up, and I take it you are all in the same situation in that you all have non American accents. This is really weird tbh with you.

Going into any interview room and facing an interview panel, or just a single individual, and then assuming a characterisation of something you are not is, in fact, tantamount to impersonation. It wouldn't be you sitting there in the hot seat, would it? I've never heard of anything so ridiculous - being told to speak in another accent.

Is that common practice in America? I assume you are there. Maybe the interviewer(s) may have a problem understanding any accent other than what they are used to? I suppose it depends on what part of the USA you are located right now. Or maybe they are testing your commitment to American naturalisation in the long, or even short, term?

If I were you I would stride confidently into that interview, smiling broadly (Americans love to see a set of guaranteed perfect, gleaming, dazzling white gnashers) then sit down and just follow the flow but all the while making sure you speak in the accent you have grown up with.

As long as you speak English as clearly and as correctly as you are able to then your accent doesn't (or shouldn't!) matter. Of course, if the job you are all after actually requires the ability to speak with an American accent then that's a different ball game altogether.

If it isn't, then my advice is to speak in your normal accent, and if that upsets them then say poops to them all - tell them to take a long walk on a short pier and exit stage left....remembering to keep smiling all the time. Americans love smiles........personally I think they just like to show off their newly whitened, extra flossed teeth. :-)
yancel   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:44 am GMT
thank you for the advice.if get hired,ill treat you all.lol
JTT   Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:54 pm GMT
Are you interviewing at a call center? That's the only job I can think of where they would require non-native American English speakers to speak with an acquired American accent.
Uriel   Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:02 am GMT
My guess would be that this is an interview for a foreign call center that happens to cater to an American clientele. And it is the foreign management, not the clientele, who care about the accent.

If you're nervous about just doing the interview in English, forget playing American; pulling off a particular accent on top of a strange language is unlikely. You might be acceptable to the interviewer, but real Americans probably won't be fooled. Nor will they care much, as long as they can understand you. In US customer service, you'll hear all kinds of accents, both American varieties and foreign ones, so sounding GA isn't usually a prerequisite for employment within the US -- but it, ironically, might be one outside the US! I've heard Caribbean, British, Peruvian, Russian, Indian, heavy Southern, heavy NY/NJ, New England, and heavy black accents on the phone while calling up various companies across the country, sometimes all in one day, so that industry hardly has the "newscaster" mindset or preoccupation -- depending on where the call center is located and who they decided to hire, you might hear anything! And nobody cares.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:15 am GMT
Here in the UK more and more companies are now transferring their call centres back to this country simple because of the horrendous problems people had with coping with the accents of the staff in India. The companies finally got fed up to the back teeth with all the complaints from customers over this issue. Now the GBP will have to get used to Glaswegian accents all over again! Not much of a problem for us here in Edinburgh but old dears or retired colonels down in Eastbourne or Budleigh Salterton may well prefer to deal with the Bangalore or Mumbai voices!

I couldn't resist that one - actually the call centres here in the UK wouldn't employ anyone with a thick local accent anyway for that very reason - old dears and colonels down in Eastbourne or Budleigh Salterton!

Maybe the all prospective staff staff would have to undergo a wee bit of
English English RP-isation, which brings us back to that emphasis on the American accent in the OPs post vis a vis his/her interview.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:42 pm GMT
Having a hard-on for a job interview?