Can you read this?

Carol   Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:38 am GMT
I found this Phenomenon very interesting. Are you able to read this? I'm a native speaker and am easily able to read it. I thought I'd throw this out there and see if other native and advanced non-native speakers could read this.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cabrigmde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:56 am GMT
I've seen similar things with other "statistics" -- 3/100 people can read this, or 1/10, or whatever, but I'm pretty sure almost ANYONE can read it. In fact, I'm not even close to being "advanced" in my French, but I was able to read a French version too.
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:32 am GMT
This must be the 100th time someone has posted this (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but seriously, people post this a lot).
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
Given that the human mind doesn't read individual letters, this ought to reduce the calls for English spelling reform. For reading, there is apparently no advantage to having phonetic spelling.
Skippy   Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:41 pm GMT
I have a feeling 1/1 people can read it... It's not all that difficult...
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 pm GMT
<<<Given that the human mind doesn't read individual letters, this ought to reduce the calls for English spelling reform. For reading, there is apparently no advantage to having phonetic spelling.>>>

You mean one shouldn't have to throw a hiss fit because of misspelled words if the words can be understood. I mean, are there really that many people looking for a complete spelling reform? ?
Uriel   Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:17 am GMT
That's an oldie, and I'm pretty sure most native-speakers whip through that passage with no problem. The explanation I heard was that as long as the first and last letters are in their proper position, the brain will scan the rest of the letters with little difficulty. That's basically what you are doing when you speed read anyway -- basic and rapid recognition of a word, rather than sounding it out letter by letter Hooked-On-Phonics style.
ASCM   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:58 am GMT
It's easy
sad   Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 am GMT
i m not native speaker even though i can read it easily. but we should try to write correct spellings because net chatting and mobile masseging have already spoil our spellings. Isn't it?