Collins Cobuild / Collins English Dictionary

Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:31 pm GMT
I wanted to get the Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's Dictionary today, but unfortunately the latest edition doesn't seem to be in print any longer. As an alternative I'm thinking about getting the Collins English Dictionary. I wanted to get the Cobuild because words are explained in full sentences. Is this also the case with the Collins English Dictionary so that the two are basically identical except for a bit of extra information in the Cobuild?
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 pm GMT
OK, I see the Cobuild is still available from amazon.com but I can't order it from them without a credit card. Sucks. I had only checked with the big online book stores of the country I'm in, and they all tell me the book is no longer available and not only out of stock. They can get me any other Collins book however.
Tom   Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
The Collins English Dictionary is a completely different dictionary made by a completely different team for different purposes. If you want a good learner's dictionary, the COBUILD is the way to go.

There is a new edition of COBUILD out (black/turquoise cover). I have received a review copy, but AFAIK it is unavailable on Amazon or, for that matter, anywhere else. I will be writing a comparative review of all the major dictionaries for advanced learners, but I'm not sure if I will include the COBUILD due to its short supply.

You can get it the previous edition (virtually the same) on Elearnaid. You can try to use www.mycobuild.com. You can also check out the latest Advanced Learner's Dictionaries from Cambridge and Oxford. Some of the definitions in the Cambridge Advanced are full sentences and it has more example sentences than in the COBUILD.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:23 pm GMT
Thanks, Tom. I'm ordering it from Elearnaid.