squemishly

Guest   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:26 am GMT
"The McCain campaign is shamelessly spreading what the mainstream media squeamishly refers to as 'mischaracterisations' but which I will call, simply, lies."

squea·mish:
Easily nauseated or sickened.
Nauseated.
Easily shocked or disgusted.
Excessively fastidious or scrupulous.

I still tho don't see how squeamishly is a correct term to use in this setence. Does it mean principled here?
Another Guest   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:36 am GMT
The last definition is probably most relevant. It's considered unscrupulous for the MSM to make blatantly partisan statements. They like to pretend to be "objective".

I would add another definition: uncomfortable with confrontation or unpleasentness.
Guest   Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:02 am GMT
"To the uber hot guy in my PHIL class, do you like green?... 'cause that's the color of my sheets"

i couldnt find the meanining of 'uber' on dictionary.com
Uriel   Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:23 am GMT
Uber is borrowed from German, and really has an umlaut over the U.

Added to any word, it acts as an intensifier, so this guy is not only hot, he is SMOKIN' hot with a capital "damn!" ;)
Guest   Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:54 pm GMT
Thanks, you know everything.
So, lemme make sure i got this right. It's pronounced as "oober?"
Guest   Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:25 pm GMT
Yes
Guest   Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
dictionary.com doesn't offer a definition for soapbox either (as in soapbox opinions)
Deary me...   Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:42 pm GMT
Über, is quite rightly a borrowed word, having a similar meaning to 'Ultra'. It should now appear in most recent dictionary editions. A little like fiancée, teenage-angst, or café, they are now so commonly used, that they are now officially recognised as usable English words.