How long before AE and BrE become seperate languages?

Guest   Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:52 pm GMT
God told me that this will happen in 2666.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 pm GMT
I am certain that most of you have noticed the word in the title thread which clearly demonstrates the fact that it really is one of the most mis-spelled words in the entire English Language, and more than likely it is the very one which holds first prize for this "honour". Most probably the second prize goes to accommodation, and third to privilege....many people make a right pig's ear of the last one, including the insertion of a "d" in many cases.

I have actually seen "seperate" appear in a couple of official documents, one of them being one issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea for which there is no excuse at all. Surely even the DVLA has heard of spell-checkers.

I'd much rather see a malapropism than a mis-spelling - much funnier. Spoonerisms are funny, too. The most famous of these is that uttered by an extremely perplexed don at Oxford university directed at an extremely indolent student: "You have deliberately tasted two worms and I insist that you immediately leave Oxford by the town drain".

The day that sees the irrevocable divergence of BE and AE will be the day when both countries have to insert subtitles whenever the films or TV programs of one country is screened in the other, or when posters of one country are forced to use the on-line translation programs to be able to read what the posters of the other have written in this forum. Could be fun. I'm really tempted to post in here entirely in Scots from now on....I'll leave it to you to find an effective o/l translation service.....
CocoChanel   Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 pm GMT
I disagree. The most mispelled word has to be "grammar" --->"grammer" or perhaps "happened" ---->"happenned" "hapened" "hapenned" etc etc etc.
Travis   Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:25 pm GMT
>>How do you expect to solve that problem? Wait until the time machine is invented?

If I was you I would change the thing's name to InterTravis and then would be free to just make it all up at will

(Not to mention InterGermania always sounded to me like some SS division name)

Then it would be Travisms sprinkled with Low German<<

Actually, as for the name "Intergermania", it was coined based on the name "Interlingua" by greg, and not myself. The name of it in itself is actually "tviskengermaansk" as of the last point I did any work on it, even though I myself these days would probably favor "tviskengermansk" or, better yet, "tviskendüütsk".
Guest   Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:42 am GMT
There is already a interlingua type for germanic language speakers, it called folkspraak I believe.
Travis   Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:58 pm GMT
>>There is already a interlingua type for germanic language speakers, it called folkspraak I believe.<<

The only problem is that Folkspraak is a horrible hodge-podge of Standard German and Standard English without the least bit of coherency, is not constructed at all on a Germanistics basis, and ignores all other Germanic languages or even other dialects of High German and English, amongst many other things. Folkspraak is utterly and completely worthless as a Germanic Interlingua, to say the very least...
Johnny   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:33 pm GMT
<<The most mispelled word has to be "grammar" --->"grammer" >>

I agree, but I'd say "your" instead of "you're" would come first in the list. First place "your", second place "grammer". No, "then" instead of "than" would come second.

Those misspelled words are so common that I am actually starting to prefer them to the right ones. "Your gonna fail the grammer test" looks so familiar that it almost looks better THEN the correct version, LOL.