Who are the most valuable Antimooners?

Guest   Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:29 am GMT
Who are the most valuable Antimooners in your eyes?
I think Dan definitely is one of them.
Skippy   Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 am GMT
Damian!
Uriel   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 am GMT
Travis, Trawicks, Lazar, and greg, if you like the technical stuff. Kirk was good at that, too, but he's long gone.

Damian is always delicious to read, and very informative and engaging -- no wonder he went into journalism! He can't write a boring post to save his life.

Many of our resident learners are great because they stimulate some interesting threads with their questions -- without which I would never think about half of the topics they bring up, or try to analyze things I already take for granted. They really make me delve into my own language's inner workings much deeper, and I have a learned a huge amount from their questions and from reading other people's answers.
Humble   Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:25 am GMT
And certainly Uriel. We owe her (him?) one.
Uriel   Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:02 am GMT
I'm a her. And thanks!
beneficii   Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:54 am GMT
K.T.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:41 am GMT
Every single contributor to this Forum has a value! Each is valuable in her/his own way - no matter what s/he says, be it aggravating, amusing, astonishing, illuminating, educational, laughable, highly academic or just plain depressingly banal.

Of course there are occasions when some posts really do need to be eradicated from the boards for reasons of common decency or lack of respect for other people or whatever - they should be scrubbed forthwith but, all in all, this IS a democratic forum and all views from all contributions are part and parcel of the Antimoon forum.

I know that some of us often stray way off course from the general topic of the English Language generally (in this thread) and Languages generally (in the other one) and everything asscociated with linguistics in some way or another. I may well be one of the worst offenders for this, but I blame my job for this because that is what I have been trained to do - to capture in words anything which I know interests me but - very much more importantly - anything which I feel would interest others.

In a nutshell, I just love our English Language and I so enjoy using it, both in speaking it or writing it, and I enjoy popping in an out of Antimoon when circumstances and time constraints permit and then contribute to any thread which I feel may have at the very least some kind of link or relevance to what I want to say. I certainly don't have the expertise of some of our really excellent posters in here who clearly demonstrate great skill in the logistics and phonetics of the English Language and who make such interesting and valuable contributions, and I love the difference in writing styles and use of terminology.

To those of you mentioned my name in here - thanks very much for your kind words! As I say every Antimooner is valuable, and one of the pleasures of coming in here is to find out which interesting or intriguing topic has been raised since my last log in.....what an imaginative lot you are!

Here's some good news from Britain in these current times of economic and financial jitters - the sun is actually shining here from clear blue skies! It's going to be a lovely day in most parts of the UK...well, except for the Western Isles, poor things! Yay! Now that really IS a bonus is it not, after the grotty dull and rainy non-summer we've just endured! :-)
Travis   Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:44 am GMT
>>Travis, Trawicks, Lazar, and greg, if you like the technical stuff. Kirk was good at that, too, but he's long gone.<<

Actually, Kirk has reappeared on Unilang (http://unilang.org/), even though I doubt he will come back here due to the rather low signal/noise ratio that often shows up on here, particularly in the "Languages" forum.
Achab   Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 am GMT
There are several great contributors in this forum.

Jasper is certainly one of them.

Steve K too, the Canadian polyglot. He had many interesting things to say. Ditto for the very creator of this venue, Tom. In these two cases, though, it's been a few years ago.

Wonderful Autumn,

Achab
Guest   Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:29 am GMT
kirk was a pain in the as........9 out of 10 of his posts were attacks on another pain in the ass, mxsmanic

btw, hadn't kirk created an alternate antimoon forum somewhere else just to weed out the users he disliked??
Guest   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am GMT
MollyB
Uriel   Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:51 am GMT
<<btw, hadn't kirk created an alternate antimoon forum somewhere else just to weed out the users he disliked?? >>

No, it was because Antimoon had crashed at one point, so Kirk and Yann created a temporary forum to keep things going while this one got back up. Then it took on a life of its own, sort of like a spin-off -- although both Kirk and Yann disappeared years ago, and the present incarnation is a little different than the original.
Guest   Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:31 am GMT
<<No, it was because Antimoon had crashed at one point, so Kirk and Yann created a temporary forum to keep things going while this one got back up. Then it took on a life of its own, sort of like a spin-off -- although both Kirk and Yann disappeared years ago, and the present incarnation is a little different than the original. >>

i see.....anyway, could you give me the URL of that alternate antimoon forum please? thanx
Sho   Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:50 am GMT
Where has Kirk gone?
Sho   Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:52 am GMT
Sorry, I should've read the above posts before posting it.