How to Say ....?

Sarah   Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 am GMT
Hey Guys!

I want to know how to say " She is wonderful by standing up beside you" which means " She is amazing by supporting you".

Thanks in advance...
Uriel   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:33 am GMT
Try "standing BY you", which means supporting you or sticking up for you or having your back.
Sarah   Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:25 am GMT
Thank you Uriel so much. I really appreciate it. You are always there whenever one need an answer!
Rick   Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:44 am GMT
There was non of the resentment there is now. If a snobby elitist section of British society scorned the "new money", that's hardly the same as widespread mistrust felt now across the globe. (And those 'elite' sections of society traditionally scorn everyone except themselves, even, and especially, other sections of British society) As I said before, it's a complete cop out to dismiss anti-Americanism as blind prejudice and jealousy on the part of the rest of the world. It hasn't "always been there", the current bad feeling is unprecedented. And unless Americans make an effort to be more informed about their government's policies and call it to account the prejudice will remain, and intensify.
Cali_Linguist   Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:06 am GMT
I like Uriel's response, but I feel it did not address the complete scenario.

Sara: " She is wonderful by standing up beside you"

Uriel: "She is wonderful by standing BY you"

Californian-English.com : " She is wonderful by standing UP FOR you"

Uriel, will you please explain the difference between the two's meaning?

Mark
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:34 am GMT
"she is wonderful by..." is not a construction that native speakers would normally use.