A strange phrase

Debra   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 am GMT
Please, help me with the phrase I don't understand - "to make the bugger sweat" - I see that it is something bad, but can't understand the exact meaning.
Thanks beforehand.
Guest   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:56 am GMT
Just out of interest, where did you find that phrase?
Debra   Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
I met it in the book I'm reading. Golding "To The End Of The Earth".
And I found lots of it in the Internet, but I wasn't able to understand the meaning.
Guest   Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 pm GMT
I'm not good at explaining things but anyway. It basically means to put somebody under pressure. Like if the police are interviewing a suspect, who they believe is lying, they'll ask lots of probing questions to them to make them literally sweat about having to make their story consistent.
Uriel   Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:46 am GMT
Bugger is a slang term: as a noun it's just a person (although slightly negative in connotation); as a verb it means to sodomize (mainly in the UK, although the term is understood, if not used much, in the US) -- so don't confuse the two!

To "make someone sweat" is to make them nervous or give them a hard time or, as the guest above explains, to interrogate them. A related phrase would be to "sweat someone", as you hear in gangster movies: this definitely means to interrogate. "Don't sweat the small stuff" is a less closely related phrase that means to not get angry about minor annoyances or details.
Debra   Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 am GMT
Oh, thanks a lot, gentlemen (or, may be, ladies?)
It looks now so simple, when explained! What a fool I am!
Thank you for help.
Guest   Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
If you are caught up by your parents while having a sex with your gf, this whole experience will literally make you sweat!