What ever happened to "Afro-American"?

Bill the Yank   Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:06 pm GMT
Undoubtedly, the whole Black is Beautiful movement of the 60s was to get out from under the demeaning colored/negro. But, the more recent name changes come as much from a vocal minority of black people who can only seem to function as victims. If they keep changing what you should politically correctly call them, they can continue to manipulate you by accusing you of calling them a demeaning name. I have actually been reprimanded for calling someone Black, when not long ago blacks insisted on being called black. The latest wrinkle is "people of color."

The whole thing is getting old. There are so many interracial marriages now that race is becoming a non-issue. I work with teenagers, and race is simply not on their radar when it comes to dating. The American military has many, many mixed marriages. My neighbor is white, and his wife is Black. His kids are cute.

I think the Canadians came up with a great answer to the whole "native" thing. They say "First Nation." However, if you go to American Indian tribal websites, most call themselves Indians. The vocal few claim that it's a demeaning racial slur. Too many foolish non-Indians have been bullied into changing long-standing team names like "Indians," "Warriors," and "Braves" which are hardly demeaning, or THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN CHOSEN.

Has anybody ever heard of a team named the NY Niggers? The San Diego Spics? The Wooster Wops? The Kentucky Kikes? Detroit Dagos? Chicago Chinks?

Those really would be demeaning names. Let's stop behaving so foolishly. It scares the horses.

Now I have a question, probably for somebody in Nunavut. Is "Eskimo" a racial slur or not? I have heard yes, and I've heard no. I know that the people there are Inuit, and Inupiat, so what is "Eskimo?"

BTW, if you google "Nunavut" you'll find some terrific websites.
Dave   Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
The San Diego Spics are one of my favorite teams, especially since they kicked the asses of the Chicago Chinks last year!
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:46 am GMT
<<Too many foolish non-Indians have been bullied into changing long-standing team names like "Indians," "Warriors," and "Braves" which are hardly demeaning, or THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN CHOSEN.>>

I don't agree with all your statements but I agree with your opinion on the sports teams.

I've never heard the Irish complain about the "Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame? You know the "touch down Jesus" people. The people of Irish ancestry that I know seem to be proud of "The fighting Irish" and of course they're a fabulous team.

I wonder if many Native American Indians really care or are even proud of these teams being named after them. "Braves" were called brave for a reason. Seems to be something to be proud of to me.
Guest   Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 pm GMT
A then again!!! - - It's not u people fault. As all u wanna-be gangsta's outhere would say "hate the game not the playa" sorry it's Player! In't it???
70's_Jim   Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:26 pm GMT
Couldn't agree more.....