Vosotros...

Rolando   Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:38 am GMT
Ok when saying Vosotros est(ais) when ever a word a verb is at the end of Vosotros is it always going to be substitute with Ais? for example

Vosotros Bebrais
Vosotros Dormirais
Vosotros Cantarais
Vosotros Hablarais
Vosotros Comerais

Thanks in advance!
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm GMT
I hate when people say "thanks in advance" because they often don't mean it.
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 pm GMT
For regular verbs, it depends on the conjugation paradigm: -ar, -er or -ir. For example, cantar goes with -áis in present indicative and -éis in present subjunctive, whereas with comer it is the other way round. So, it must be:

indicative/subjunctive
bebéis/bebáis
dormís/durmáis (-ir pattern)
cantáis/cantéis
coméis/comáis

That's talking only about present time.
K. T.   Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:14 pm GMT
"I hate when people say "thanks in advance" because they often don't mean it.
Guest Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23

Well, at least he said "Thanks". Some people show up here and ask for big translations or proofreading and then fail to say "thanks".
Breiniak   Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:28 pm GMT
<<Guest Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm GMT
I hate when people say "thanks in advance" because they often don't mean it.>>

Why wouldn't they mean it? Someone helps a person out and he's grateful for that. I think nearly everyone is grateful when he/she receives help.

I smell bullshit... You just complain to complain.
K. T.   Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:44 pm GMT
Oops! Sorry, I meant the guest who made the statement, not the time of the following guest. Thanks to Breiniak for giving me a clue about that.
Rolando   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:24 pm GMT
>>I hate when people say "thanks in advance" because they often don't mean it.<< Unlike most people, Guest, I'm thankful for taking a second out of your time just to elaborate This for me ;-)
Rolando   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:25 pm GMT
>>I hate when people say "thanks in advance" because they often don't mean it.<< Unlike most people, Guest, I'm thankful for taking a second out of your time just to elaborate This for me ;-)
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:07 pm GMT
Just us Ustedes instead of Vosotros, it's easier, you just add an N at the end, for example:

Tu comes / Ustedes comen
Tu tienes / Ustedes tienen
Tu abres / Ustedes abren
Tu miras / Ustedes miran
etc.

That's how they taught me in High School in the Spanish class.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:17 am GMT
Easier, along with confusing, for example:

Mexican Spanish:
los veo = I see you all / I see them
las veo = I see you girls / I see them (girls)
les veo = I see you all (polite form)

Andalusian Spanish:
os veo = I see you all (informal)
los veo = I see them
las veo = I see you ladies / I see them (girls)

Argentinean Spanish:
No polite form here.

Castilian Spanish:
Fuck knows, total mess.

So, what do you think it's easier? For me it's clear:
Andalucian-Mexican-Argentinean-Castilian
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:45 am GMT
<Easier, along with confusing, for example:

Mexican Spanish:

Andalusian Spanish:
os veo = I see you all (informal)
los veo = I see them
las veo = I see you ladies / I see them (girls)

Argentinean Spanish:
No polite form here.

Castilian Spanish:
Fuck knows, total mess.

So, what do you think it's easier? For me it's clear:
Andalucian-Mexican-Argentinean-Castilian
>

Guess which Spanish dialect I speak.
I would say:
Os veo : I see you all(informal)
Les veo: I see them
Les veo: I see you all( formal)
Os veo: I see you all (girls)
Las veo: I see them ( girls)
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:20 pm GMT
Les veo meaning I see them is some kind of substandard Spanish (according to the Spanish Royal Academy), which in combination with os veo identifies you unmistakably as a speaker of the Castillian accent of Spanish, that's to say, Central and Northern Spanish from Spain.

os veo = I see you all (whatever group of people - only man, wonly women or mixed)

Notice that all the forms I wrote earlier are either standard or non-standard but acceptable in a educated register.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:09 pm GMT
The Royal Spanish Academy ended up accepting le veo as I see him after a lot of controversy, mainly due to the fact that many writers from the old region of Castile in Spain use it, but the plural form - les veo as I see them - is still not accepted. It would be hard to say how many people actually shift pronouns from singular to plural in order to stay correct, the "les" form is heard on TVs from Spain a lot.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:37 pm GMT
<<Les veo meaning I see them is some kind of substandard Spanish (according to the Spanish Royal Academy), which in combination with os veo identifies you unmistakably as a speaker of the Castillian accent of Spanish, that's to say, Central and Northern Spanish from Spain.
>>

In reality I'm from Extremadura, but your deduction was right. The Extremaduran dialect has southern and northern features .

<< the "les" form is heard on TVs from Spain a lot. >>
That is a good point. Mass media have strong influence in what we know as "Standard Spanish", more than RAE I would say. That is, no matter if RAE considers "les vi" as wrong. As long as leismo becomes widely spread, thanks in part to mass media which use it heavily , it is only a question of time that RAE will surrender and say it's right to say "les vi".
Guest   Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:15 pm GMT
It should be:

Lo vi (I saw him)
Los vi (I saw them [masculine])
La vi (I saw her)
Las vi (I saw them [feminine])

The problem is that Spaniards use Le/Les for everything that's why it's called "Leismo", in the example above a Spaniard would normally say "Le vi" and "Les vi".